Regulator recommendation : Aqualung,Scubapro,Apeks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have both Apeks and Scubapro. The Apeks is just as easy to get serviced as the rest and yes it does breathe great. I do fine however that my Apeks leaks alot more than my scubapro and I have to have it tuned more often may just be an isolated problem though. My scubapro has been pretty muuch bulletproof and if you dont want to service every year no problem. The only thing you are giving up by not servicing yearly is the free parts which you wouldnt have anyway with some other regulators. I also wouldnt worry to much about bulk, underwater it really makes no diffirence.
I dive Apeks atx50 scubapro mk17 g250v/ s600,
Check review on the new MK25 A700 Tech on link below
NOLA DIVER

Of the 4 I would say Atomic. To stay in warranty you only need to service every two years. If a flex hose is important you can go to Dive Gear Express and get a super flex hose. You can also go with a HOG regulator and service it yourself as needed.

I have a HOG and it is phenomenal. Very inexpensive too. Like pirates said you can service them yourself or, from what I have read here, they are inexpensive to have serviced.

I have both Apeks and Scubapro. The Apeks is just as easy to get serviced as the rest and yes it does breathe great. I do fine however that my Apeks leaks alot more than my scubapro and I have to have it tuned more often may just be an isolated problem though.
@Daveo957: Setting your second stage cracking pressure aggressively (approx. 1 inch of water -- with inhalation adjustment knob turned all the way out) can lead to the occasional freeflow. If you like setting up your reg like this, you should learn how to tune your own reg. It takes but a minute or two, and it'll save you a trip to wherever you get your regs serviced/tuned. Provided that your first stage is delivering i.p. in the desired range (something easily checked with an i.p. gauge), you'll only need a couple of wrenches and a flathead screwdriver to tweak the cracking pressure.

With the Given:
- diving will be 90% tropical (>70F) and will be under 50 dives a year
- spend under $500
- Something I can have a while, but good value
- Recreational diving only and wet suit only and is somewhat travel friendly.
- Given <50 dives a year isn't going to require alot of expensive servicing (not even sure how much an annual reg service is)

I would ask my LDS... Get something that is going to both meet your wants and be easy to have serviced... All of the regs you listed are good, so price might be your main concern, but I would vet that with my LDS, because servicing is also a high priority for me... I like that my LDS can turn servicing around quickly without having to send it out.

Back
Top Bottom