regulator setup for doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's hard to argue with the Hogs, especially at that price. I've been using them for my sidemount regs for several years now.

200 to service them is nuts. Don't know who's charging that but I dont. 150 gets a doubles set done. That's every two years if they need it. Throwing away regs because they need a service is stupid. No matter what the cost of them is. Maybe if you have more money than brains and common sense. I teach the class in the pa, ohio, wva, Maryland area. Will travel farther if you get a group of four or so to do it. Since you can buy everything Ala carte you can get some great deals by only buying what you need. Pm me.

Jim, seems $20-$30 per stage plus parts is normal, parts kits on the hogs are $50/pair. At $150 it's a different game, I'm not advocating disposing of regulators, but I wouldn't pay to have hogs serviced.

yoyoguy, the free parts for life program is only for new purchases and has to be maintained, it's an idiotic policy designed to put the service $ in dive shops pockets and to prevent people from servicing them on their own. Learn to service your own if you're getting into tech diving....

Jim, $200 for service a set of double is NOT nut at all. HOG D1 first stage part is $30 at DRIS. Classix 2nd stage is $20. So parts alone is $100. What is labor? I would think $20-25 per stage is quite usual these days. So if not $200, it will be $180. You DIY and don't count labor, but you did send time on it. I wonder what is your labor cost for service per stage??

I've heard that mediocre factory QC means that some of the HOG regs are fine regs, and some are not so good. That was from a tech instructor who doesn't sell gear, but based on what they had seen.

I don't charge per stage. I charge 45.00 an hour actual labor time.

How long does it take you to do a 1st and 2nd? I really what to know for someone with proper equipment and experience, what it takes. For me, it does take sometime especially for the 1st stage. 2nd stage is simpler, but take just as much time due to the need for adjustment I don't have a inline gauge

---------- Post added July 12th, 2015 at 11:19 PM ----------

I've heard that mediocre factory QC means that some of the HOG regs are fine regs, and some are not so good. That was from a tech instructor who doesn't sell gear, but based on what they had seen.

I wouldn't use "medicore" to describe HOG. The design is similar to other big name. By now, I have open up HOG, Mk25/20, Atomic and a few Hollis and Oceanic model, I would say SP and Atomic are probably better build. It doesn't HOG is low quality. Per cost, I think it is very good choice. In fact, I would pick HOG over Any of the Hollis an Oceanic I have seen

I put together a set of doubles last winter. DRIS had a Black Friday sale and I picked up two Hog D2's for $130 ea.

If 200$ is a lot, try having a twin setup from Dive Rite... 75$ per stage to have it serviced. And then Dive Rite wonders why there's so many non serviced regulators lying around.

Jim, seems $20-$30 per stage plus parts is normal, parts kits on the hogs are $50/pair. At $150 it's a different game, I'm not advocating disposing of regulators, but I wouldn't pay to have hogs serviced.

yoyoguy, the free parts for life program is only for new purchases and has to be maintained, it's an idiotic policy designed to put the service $ in dive shops pockets and to prevent people from servicing them on their own. Learn to service your own if you're getting into tech diving....

tbone1004 that is what I figured. I do feel I am pretty mechanically inclined. I work on my motorcycle and car. How does one go about learning to service their own regs though? I want to do it right and safe!

Back
Top Bottom