Regulator setup video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tbone1004

Mr Speed Nuts
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Greenville, South Carolina, United States
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Interesting video that @Lake Hickory Scuba posted today. Obviously biased to Mares because of the shop which is fine, but interesting to see about the "do what is practical" for each of the setups.

• I like the argument for miflex on the rental regs and PSD regs. One extra advantage of those is that the braid is more chemical resistant than the rubber so the hoses will not degrade as fast with heavy pool use or in potentially contaminated water. Fun fact
  • I'm not entirely sure I believe the extra friction warming the air up in rubber hoses though.
  • I appreciate the argument for yoke in teaching/travel situations, something I firmly believe in. Same with the PSD discussion. I prefer DIN, most all of my first stages are DIN, but you have to know your demographic. If the area is yoke primarily, or yoke only, have a yoke first stage... I know everyone can't afford extra first stages, but you can swing the $50 or whatever it is for the adapters and just swap it over if you want to use DIN when you have your own bottles but when travelling yoke is easier. Many places will reserve DIN bottles for you, but why bother?

I keep a singles regulator setup with yoke for loaner gear and if I'm going out of town with rental tanks.
I have a yoke and DIN fitting for my Kraken and swap it over to whatever tanks I'm using. It honestly takes less than 2 minutes.
I use DIN for everything else since I cave dive, but I try to keep consistency in the important bits. Secondary under my chin, bolt snaps to keep stuff contained, etc etc.

good watch, curious to see what everyone else's comments look like

Yeah, a lot of it makes sense and in particular the closing statement that you need to find a system that really works for you, this important rather than being fundamentalist (fundamentalism is the root of all evil IMO).
DIN must be used for everything- fundamentalist!
Long hose or other configuration must be used for everything- fundamentalist! Etc etc
I agree with keeping things as consistent as possible and training with what you use, but beware the kool-aid.

First, I would like to state it was nice to watch a youtube video without any political add during this election year.

Being practical makes sense. Overall I prefer that approach along with consistency/standardization. Bolt snaps for gauges, bungee for alternate, and bp/w for recreational, tech (no one side mount diving in this area), scientific, and psd. The one thing I absolutely hated when I took my first tech course and later PSD was the concept of having to have multiple sets of gear for different types of diving. Even the scientific divers at the uni tried to have a different set up. With some influence I was able to convince many here to take a practical and standardized approach whether it is PSD, tech (not many here do it), rec, or scientific.

I dive in cold water in the summer and even colder water in the winter. I have yet to see any difference between miflex hoses vs rubber hoses in terms of heating. Miflex hoses are great for traveling. The only miflex hose I don't like is the 7' one; it rubs my neck seal on my drysuit. When not using a drysuit, which is very rare, the miflex rubs my neck which is annoying, plus it tends to coil rather than straightening out.

While I can appreciate his argument about DIN vs Yoke, I don't quite agree with it. I've traveled for PSD missions all the way from Tacoma, WA to Buford, GA (most of my missions are in rivers in MT or ID) which means we sometimes have to rent tanks. All of my regs are DIN and have a yoke adapter. At no time has there been an issue. As for my tanks have a Thermal valve which can be used with a DIN or Yoke reg. This avoids any issues for those using my tanks.

Not convinced about the idea of the computer being on a console for ease of downloading. Both my Petrel and G2 download easy enough. If need be I can keep them on my drysuit arm sleeve without taking them off.

The main point Brian is emphasizing is one I strongly agree with, be the thinking diver rather than the non-thinking (follower as he calls it) one. This point makes the video well worth watching, even if one doesn't agree with everything.

Brian, if you see this, it was nice meeting you back in September when I came in for a visit with my nephew and brother-in-law.

Brian, if you see this, it was nice meeting you back in September when I came in for a visit with my nephew and brother-in-law.

Hello @shurite7 , hope all is well. It was nice meeting you guys.

good watch, curious to see what everyone else's comments look like
@tbone1004, Thank You for sharing our video, we are curious to see what others think as well.

@shurite7 I can't speak for @Lake Hickory Scuba but I imagine it is because that rig stays in the truck for him so the convenience is just as much having the AI as it is having the computer/ai always attached. If you did it with a Perdix or for PSD with a FFM a NERD2 would be more ideal, then you'd have to either bring the computer/preprogrammed transmitter with you all the time, or program the transmitter on the FFM. Kind of a PITA or rather expense. The puck air is cheap, certainly good enough for the minimal use that you'd have with PSD *short and/or shallow dives, so algorithm is kind of whatever IMO*, and convenient

@shurite7 I can't speak for @Lake Hickory Scuba but I imagine it is because that rig stays in the truck for him so the convenience is just as much having the AI as it is having the computer/ai always attached. If you did it with a Perdix or for PSD with a FFM a NERD2 would be more ideal, then you'd have to either bring the computer/preprogrammed transmitter with you all the time, or program the transmitter on the FFM. Kind of a PITA or rather expense. The puck air is cheap, certainly good enough for the minimal use that you'd have with PSD *short and/or shallow dives, so algorithm is kind of whatever IMO*, and convenient

Very true and I get it; just didn't whole heartily agree with his reasoning. I'm not saying it is wrong. It is a PITA when using a transmitter and different reg setups, especially if it isn't already paired with the computer. I have forgotten to pair mine with the the transmitter when I went my rec set to PSD; luckily it was during training not during an actual call-out. Nevertheless, I just wanted to express my point of view.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom