Regulator the "DIR" way

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

islanddiver1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anybody know how to setup a regulator the "DIR" way. Im talking about .. what hose sizes needed.. and how to set in up on your BC so your primary raps around the back of your neck.

any help?

thanks

For your primary/sec 7 is normal, i have found 22 is too short for octo on singles same for spg gauge go with what is comfy. 22 when i turned slightly i got reg pulled from mouth and boby contorted to see spg gauge i went 26 on spg 24 on octo....i dont think anything should be set in stone

The length of the hose for the back-up is affected by whether you're diving doubles or singles, and for both how the LP ports are located/pointed on the first stage(s).

For my singles reg (Apeks XTX200) with an Oxycheq Mach V 30 lbs wing (yeah, that matters too :wink:) I use a 22" hose on the back-up.

On my doubles rig with Apeks Tek3 regs I ended up needing a 30" hose on the back-up. I could probably have used a 28", but Miflex doesn't make 28".

So my advice would be to bring your gear to your LDS and try out and pick the right length hose rather than buying the wrong length a couple of times - been there, done that.

Henrik

I dive a singles set up and I have a 30" on my back up. The others were too short and I could not easily turn my head and it pulled making the reg uncomfortable. In order for it to be "DIR" it has to work. If you can't turn you head both directions with ease you have lost your ability to have as much situational awareness as you ought to have. I might be able to go just a little shorter, but I had the hose and it works without creating any entanglement hazard.

I have a few questions for you.

What reg are you going to use for the set up ? Port placement ?
How big are you ? 100lbs, 300 lbs or in between.
Warm or Cold water diving. A 7 mm wet suit and hood add to overall body diameter vs a rash guard, thus making the hose length required to be a little longer.

I ask because all of these things come into play with respect to hose length.
Hose placement on the reg can also affect the length required.
I dive a Dive Rite Hurricane reg that has the lp ports (2) on each side with one port pointing towards the diver and one towards the tank. So on my set up I place the octo hose on the port that faces me, and I can get away with a little shorter hose.

I dive a 6' long hose beause a 5' is just a few inches too short for comfort.
I use a 22" hose for the octo , and 24" for the bc/wing inflator.
I use a 26" high pressure hose, 24 was just too short for me.
I use a 32" hose for the dry suit.

Jim breslin

What kind of diving are you doing?

The essence of the DIR setup is a) donate the reg you are breathing, and b) keep your backup bungied under your chin for yourself.

a) can be accomplished with a number of different hose lengths. A 36" octo hose will allow you to breathe the primary and donate it, but is difficult to route because it's not long enough to pass under the arm. A 40" hose will go under the arm, and therefore improve streamlining, but you may need an angled adapter to allow the reg to sit comfortably in your mouth. A 5' hose will route under the arm, across the chest, and around the back of the neck, but may be too short for people with broad chests. A 6' hose may be better for that routing for such folks. A 7' hose will route down to the waistband, up across the chest, and around the back of the neck -- but routes best when using a simple harness with something attached to it that allows capturing the hose underneath it, like a light canister, light, or pocket.

For the bungied backup, the ideal positioning is low enough that you don't bump into it with your chin, but high enough so you can pick it up without your hands (I don't think many of us can do that, actually). Hose length has to be enough to allow you to use the regulator and look to your left. For most single tank setups, 22" is the absolute minimum, and some regulators (and people) need 24". Since the 24" hose is the standard primary regulator hose, I think it unlikely that anyone would need one longer than that.

Lynne (who is Radish today, because ScubaBoard decided not to accept her TSandM login any more)

I like radish, it's very unusual with cake and sitting up there with your post TSandM.

I admire and respect the DIR people, with their ideals and methods.

Using doubles I have always kept my secondary within my chest triangle clipped off, able to be broken free.
The thing is, after more than 10 years of debating with myself, or since the debate began, I cannot psychologically bring myself to wrap the long hose, secondary, around my neck, or using any configuration, donate my primary, although I have trained that way and quite capable, unless I am using a twin hose reg?
It certainly heightens situational awareness in having the secondary off in my hand and ready just before it is required, hopefully.

Back
Top Bottom