regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubanurse

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Well I am still looking at equiupment. We are going to Cozumel in Nov and I hope to have my own equipment by then. I have pretty much narrowed my regulators choices to scuba pro or sherwood. I trained with scuba pro and have read lots of great reviews. I haven't read or heard that much about sherwood but I like the idea of the air moisturizer in the oasis and maximus. I have read that sherwood regulators have very little bubble interference. A LDS has these regs so I have been able to look at them but not actually use them. Does anyone have sherwood regs and how do you like them. Any input would be appreciated.

My dive buddy, Mudguppy, uses an Oasis. Recently she forget hers and had to borrow a reg. She did notice that her throat got a lot drier with the one she borrowed. So, I guess it does work. She came back saying she loved her Oasis. Hope this helps.

For recreational diving, Sherwoods are ok. When I was learning, the mid-range models were just fine, though I certainly could tell the difference between the mid-priced Sherwood and a mid-priced AquaLung. If the Sherwoods feel good to you, go for it!

Howeverm if you are interested in more than shallow and moderate depth warm-water diving, search on Apeks and/or Scubapro and be prepared to spend an evening reading opinions...

For 10 years I used a Sherwood Blizzard. Like its warm water cousins, it boasted all the features you already listed; e.g. keeping your mouth/throat moister & less bubble interference. They are a good, reliable reg that can most dive shops can service. Also, the positive pressure bleed from the 1st stage essentially makes them environmentally sealed.

However, as has already been indicated Sherwoods do fall a little bit short in the performance area: even though the Blizzard (et al.) are balanced regs, it IS possible to overbreathe them at depth.

I was originally looking at replacing my Sherwood with a ScubaPro, but ultimately went with a Mares Abyss. Both are considered "high performance" regs.

Most "high performance" regs seem to have shorter exhaust tees with, you guessed it, some bubble interference.

IOW, I gave up my "moisturizing" reg with its longer exhaust T for a better performing reg with its ocasional bout of bubble interference.

In the end, I think I prefer the newer reg.

Just my $0.02's worth,

~SubMariner~

I sneak my Husband's scubapro reg whenever he is not going to the ocean with me because I like it a lot more than my low end Aqualung.

I used the Scubapro S600 a lot when I started diving. It was my friends spare reg so I used it a lot. I also got to use a few other regs, and eventually settled on my Poseidon as the reg I have fallen in love with.

About a month ago I was on a dive to 140ffw and carrying an AL80 stage bottle with a Sherwood Maximus (I'm pretty sure that was the reg) on it. When coming up from depth, I switched over to the Sherwood and MAN!!! What a difference. Harder to breathe, a wimply little mouthpiece...it just wasn't a pleasant switch from the Poseidon. It worked, of course, but it just wasn't as nice. If there is only one piece of gear you can splurge on, splurge on your regulator! It is your life support, it is the only way you can stay alive under the water...make sure it is a damn good one.

art.chick once bubbled...
I sneak my Husband's scubapro reg whenever he is not going to the ocean with me because I like it a lot more than my low end Aqualung.

Why not sneak out his credit card when he is in the ocean and buy yourelf a new one :maniac:

In order of quality, reliability, consumer ratings, diver loyalty, and everything I've ever read or experienced ...

#1 Atomic (I own T1/T2 X it's my favorite reg -ever)

#2 ScubaPro tied w Sherwood (just heard a 1 hour lecture from So Cal ScubaPro rep about the top to bottom design of their MX25T/S600T - not better than Atomic but a serious runner up. Anyway convinced me - so I'm ordering one through a keyman instructor deal)

#3 Apeks/Aqualung (I own 2 of these pieces of junk - plan to service every 25 dives or 6 months whichever comes first)

on any list ...
#99 Dacor/Mares (I own 2 of these pieces of junk too - nuff said) If you plan to work hard catching a lobster in 12 feet of water plan to asphyxiate on one of these babies :eek:

DiverBuoy You say

"#3 Apeks/Aqualung (I own 2 of these pieces of junk - plan to service every 25 dives or 6 months whichever comes first)

on any list ...
#99 Dacor/Mares (I own 2 of these pieces of junk too - nuff said) If you plan to work hard catching a lobster in 12 feet of water plan to asphyxiate on one of these babies "

Can you please tell us the Models and the age of them.

Thanks

on any list ...
#99 Dacor/Mares (I own 2 of these pieces of junk too - nuff said) If you plan to work hard catching a lobster in 12 feet of water plan to asphyxiate on one of these babies :eek: [/B]

Care to elaborate a little on why you say Mares is a piece of Junk? I use a Mares Ruby as my main deep Reg and it is only second to my Poseidon Jet Stream at Depths to 170 feet.

I also use the Mares as my teaching set and it breaths like a dream at 12ft and the same at extreme depths.

Maybe when you post you should take a little more time to explain your opinion on kit instead of junking it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom