regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDan once bubbled...
DiverBuoy You say

"#3 Apeks/Aqualung (I own 2 of these pieces of junk - plan to service every 25 dives or 6 months whichever comes first)

Thanks

You have 2 Totally differant regs in one catagory, Id hardly call Apeks a piece of junk.

On what grounds? Not services I would hope.

Considering the TX100 has been on a world record breaking dive, Id say it has a proven record.

ScubaDan:
Can you please tell us the Models and the age of them.
ATX100 - Apeks. ATX50 - Apeks. Vipertech Gold - Dacor. Abyss - Mares.

Sydney_Diver:
Care to elaborate a little ...
I've wasted too much of my diving life on these pieces of junk already.

Aquamaniac:
You have 2 Totally differant regs in one catagory:
What two regs can't be tied for third?

On what grounds?
That I have personal experience using the regulators and can tell story after story about how badly they perform, break, requiring way-too-frequent-servicing. Finally, because I say so.

Doh!

And there I was hoping for an informative post from DiverBuoy.

There is so much positive about Apeks on these boards that and I was hoping for a reasonable contrary opinion. I'm not saying Apeks don't produce an excellent product (I don't honestly know since I don't dive them), but it would be nice to hear the viewpoint of someone with less than positive experiences of the product. "because I say so." is hardly usefull critiscism.

DiverBuoy if you've honestly had problems with Apeks product it would be nice to share those problems here so that those looking to buy a new reg, have information from both sides on which to base their purchase decision.

<sigh> Ok I'll tell you all the greuling details.

First to UP - yes my proclivities include being tough on regulators. But at the same time, the regulator needs to handle some levels of abuse - and the flow adjustment knob needs to work for at least 1 year between servicings.

Among the problems I've had with Apeks are:

The Venturi adjust burned out the seat 4 times.

The parts kits (including o-rings) were hard to come by on the part of two dive shops. I asked both shops to order a kit and the winner received the kit almost 8 weeks after placing the order. And of all things to reallly make me made, one of the critical parts was missing from all of their kits. So the shop did some jury rigging and made the old part work. We sent a formal complaint to the mfg.

Also my ATX50 - made funny noises from the start, and over time (about 3 montns) it started breathing with much difficulty. So I took it in for servicing. I took it to two shops for a second opinions and both could find nothing wrong. Strangely after the second shop took it apart and pronounced it fine - it did breath ok for a few more dives, and then the problems started over again.

I felt I needed a higher qualtiy reg. I went with the devil I know. So to give Apeks a fair shot I bought an ATX100 - at the time (2 years ago it was the top of the line offering for the shop I was affiliated with). For this environmentally sealed, fully balanced and piston based unit - I spent $400.00 (with discounts). It leaked on the first dive when I was at a 90 degree angle in the water. And I completely aspirated in an upside down position (a problem I didn't have with the 50). On it's last dive with me it started to free-flow and couldn't be shut off - ending another dive. Extremely frustrated I took it back to the shop and they replaced the unit with a brand new one (nice guys that they were).

I quickly discovered it wasn't that my first ATX100 was a lemon ... the model was really that bad, cause the new unit had all the same problems (except the free-flow). So I accepted it at face value dove horizontally about 25 times on the new unit, with only a few minor complaints - like the fact that the adjustment knob started grinding really bad after just these 25 dives. I took the regulator by a dive shop with a really excellent repair facility which also came with many recommendations. They had the gall to scold me for taking so long to have this unit serviced (WHAT!). Anyway they recommended that I have a full overhaul done. I turned them down and went back to my old stand by shop (not the place I bought the reg from). They gave me a really good deal on another overhaul (I pretended that it needed it so as not to have to explain myself all over again).

The reg has never been dove on since that servicing. I couldn't get any bites at $200.00 on Ebay though I tried to sell it 3 times. I'm not surprised because an enlightened public would be nuts to purchase this pile of junk.

After this whole fiasco I borrowed a low-end atomic B1/B2(comparative product offering to the Apeks ATX200 at the time) from a friend and did only 1 dive with it - I HAD TO HAVE this regulator. The shop I was working with at the time - had a keyman deal - so for $625.00 I got an $1800.00 top-of-the-line Atomic T1/T2 x-treme. Exaggeration would fall short of reality regarding this regulator in every category - A dominant winner with no close seconds. Why do I say this you may ask?

Because I have sadly been without my regulator on 2 dozen occasions. Because my buddies who hear all my product endorsements but currently own Apeks, Dacor/Mares, Oceanic, and Zeagle junk have asked to trade me for one dive. It's been fun getting a chance to see if these companies have made any progress since those days. I offer you a resounding NO ... and oh by the way give me back my regulator, go get your own.

(It's been over 15 months and well over 100 dives since I bought my Atomic. Because of all the problems I had in the past with other regs - I felt compelled to take in my reg after 1 year. I asked if I could watch the service guy look at it. He took it apart and said there is NO REASON to clean this unit "bring it in next year" (What!). The manufacturer was right - 2 to 3 years between servicing - and then only a cleaning is usually required.)

Hey anyone ever figure out what happend to SHERWOOD in the big Rodale's mega reg test?????
jeffsterinsf once bubbled...
For recreational diving, Sherwoods are ok.

Hey DiverBouy, which Atomic dealer do you rep for out there??

Hi,

I am diving with the Maximus since about 400 dives, and I would say it is performing quite well. I dive mostly in cold water and had never any probs. About deep diving??? Hmm, I would say, anywhere you could go with air, it is fine. The only negative point is I had to adjust the middle pressure several times.
Before that I dived a Scubapro reg (forgot the model, but I think it was one of the rather cheaper, "beginner" ones) and it was not really one for cold water (at least I am able to turn of my air quite quickly now) so I gave it to my sister who is a holiday diver it she´s allright with that.

I have a sherwood magnum, Apeks ATX100. TX100, TX50. My brother has Apeks TX100. Apeks wins hands down. It has rock solid reliability, great performance, and cheap price from LP or DiveInn. The sherwood is reliable but does not breath anywhere near as easy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom