Remedy for bugs in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've also seen reports that they work well. I've also seen reports that they don't repel mosquitoes, but do repel no-see-ums. In any event, I know what I saw, and I doubt luck had anything to do with it. So seems like an option that it can't hurt to try.

Does anybody know how to prevent no see um bites in Roatan? Looking for any and all remedies.

We've had little problems with them using a variety of bug repellents, no particular thing seems to work better than another, the main ingredient seems to be just to remember to spray some on anytime you're going out and going to be around sand, leaving the room to go to the beach bar, spray some on your feet and ankles, going to the beach, spray some on your feet and ankles... dusk seems to be the worst time for them. We've been to Roatan a few times and have never had major problems with the bugs.

I saw a gal wearing Hartz Flea Collars for ankle bracelets.

I thought it was for the sand flies until I heard barking from her room on the last night of the week. Or was that the DM?

Flies with beaks.

Skin So Soft is a remedy for dry skin...and nothing else.

I used a Picaridin spray on Roatan and it worked quite well for both no-see-ums and mosquitos. Nothing I tried, including 100% deet, Deep Woods Off and Cactus juice worked on Utila. The little buggers seemed to love it all and bit continually.
DEET worked well for me on Roatan, but not at all on Utila? :idk: And I may have been the only one in the group who had a problem.

On my next trip to Roatan, I took DEET and mineral oil as I'd read of some protection from the latter, but never tested the oil. Had no problems and quit using the DEET. My different experiences might have been because the Utila resort was on a barrier island and the dock on a backwater bay with lots of vegetation & other matter vs the Roatan resort kept tidy grounds and sprayed every morning.

Skin So Soft is a remedy for dry skin...and nothing else.
I almost agree, but if used enough it might keep the skin too oily for the devil bugs.

So I don't think there is a firm answer. Good luck with whatever you use and take the treatment Roatanman suggested in case of problems.

BY accident. You put it on your body with your hands. Any subsiquent contact with dive equipment before completely and thouroughly washing it off can damage equipment. It only takes a bit to fog a dive computer face, melt rubber enough to cause a failure. Why take the chance when there are other safe alternatives?

---------- Post added November 28th, 2012 at 07:59 AM ----------

But the question was... " Looking for any and all remedies " That asks, what do you do when you've been bitten?

DSCF3030.jpg

A little dab from a q-tip. Instant relief.

WOW! Very pricey at $26 to nearly $60 a tube. Prep-H (cortosone), Ambesol (topical anelgesic), perscription cortosone, lidocane, etc. would work as well and be a whole lot less expensive. and he said remedies for the bugs, not for the bug bites.

$26 & up a tube? Ok, I carry hydrocortisone on trips anyway.

Deep woods off seemed to work for us....we even brought towelets to use as soon as we arrived at the airport. Lots of folks at CCV had bug stuff in their rooms and in their dive locker...and pretty much put it on as soon as gear was taken off and anytime they were leaving their room. We did the same and were largely spared.

Back
Top Bottom