Remedy for bugs in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the help. We'll be very prepared. We were on Glover's Atoll in Belize, and we sprayed down every time we stepped off the porch, and we got few bites. Others weren't so lucky. Our dive instructor looked like he had measles at the end of the week.

Others weren't so lucky. Our dive instructor looked like he had measles at the end of the week.
In my experience, luck had nothing to do with it. No luck is needed in remembering to apply repellent, no luck is needed in knowing what repellent has worked in the past. More likely it was cockyness and not thinking they needed anything or knew it all that led to the measle looking bites

In my experience, luck had nothing to do with it. No luck is needed in remembering to apply repellent, no luck is needed in knowing what repellent has worked in the past. More likely it was cockyness and not thinking they needed anything or knew it all that led to the measle looking bites

Actually luck may have something to do with it. I'm not sure that I read that the instructor did not apply a repellent or not. Perhaps implied?

"Scientists have identified several proteins found in mosquitoes’ antennae and heads that latch on to chemical markers, or odorants, emitted from our skin. These markers are produced by the natural processes of our bodies and, like neon signs, they let the mosquitoes’ smell center know you’re around (though the process that then guides them to you is not well understood). Flies and mosquitoes share a number of the same genes that dictate production of these odorant-binding proteins, which have specific sites that will catch or bind with certain chemicals in the air. Some scientists suggest that certain characteristics attract mosquitoes, thereby leading us to have more bites than others. Some of the top candidates: the amount of carbon dioxide in the breath, pregnancy, body temperature, alcohol and odorant markers based on blood type.

Blood-type markers are chemicals released by people of a specific blood type – so if someone with AB blood emitted a marker, it would be different than that released by B. One study found persons with Type O blood suffered more mosquito landings because of the odorant markers they emit than any other blood type, making their juices a hot commodity for blood banks, as well as Asian Tiger Mosquitoes, which carry West Nile Virus. Not only were Type O’s more likely to be landed on, but the study found that for any blood type, people who secreted a chemical marker about their blood type through their skin (both blood type and secretor status are determined by genes) were bitten much more than non-secretors; 24 percent in the case of the Type O’s. Other researchers estimate about 15 percent of the population, based on their genes, don’t emit chemical markers of their blood type through their skin and saliva, so something else has to be calling the mosquitoes to them." - ScienceLine

All Deet and Picaridin do is mask those markers. People have some misguided ideas about this. I watch bemusedly as my friends apply DEET to their hats, clothing and socks. Permethrin is a much better solution to those problems.

I know from my personal experience (n=1, just like you), that I am always the unlucky one who gets bitten while my companions stay "measle" free.

So - ceteris paribus - it MAY just be luck.

If someone has never dealt with biting insects and the first time they use repellent is in this situation the YES, Luck may play a part, but face it, Most here have used repellents at various times throughout their lives and have found what has worked or not worked and if a product repels mosquitoes for you in New York it will likely repel them in Honduras so NO, LUCK is not a factor unless its the very first time ever dealing with biting bugs. So many feel UNLUCKY because they chose to try the various snake oils, cactus juice, lemon oil, iguana sperm concoctions that did not work. CDC Reccomends deet first, Yes, in similar percentages Picaridin is also reccomended but picaridin is only available up to 20% and has certainly not gone through the testing DEET has, Picaridin also is not suggested for use on children as young as 2 months such as deet is. and this is for Malaria countries, When we bring Dengue Mosquitoes into play then DEET really surpasses the others in the published reports

I know from my personal experience (n=1, just like you), that I am always the unlucky one who gets bitten while my companions stay "measle" free.
I believe clients would go on trips with me to the Bay Islands, due to the fact I am a human magnet for the bugs!

I believe clients would go on trips with me to the Bay Islands, due to the fact I am a human magnet for the bugs!

Best thing to do is to bring a pregnant woman along. They have increased CO2 expiration together with increased body heat on their bellies (thanks to the amniotic fluid). Works like a charm - they will attract mosquitoes like Republicans to an Obama effigy burning rally.

Please ignore the anti-ethical value of this post!

Best thing to do is to bring a pregnant woman along. !
This will not work, there are enough pregnant young girls as well as women around the island to attract bugs from far away as Russia if this really worked. Or does it only work with foreign women?

Reactions: Doc
This will not work, there are enough pregnant young girls as well as women around the island to attract bugs from far away as Russia if this really worked. Or does it only work with foreign women?

It only works on those people WITH a sense of humor. You should NEVER try it.

DEET has the longer and more substantial track record it seems, invented in WWII, originally tested as a pesticide on farm fields, and entered military use in 1946 and civilian use in 1957. Its Wikipedia page has been updated and it still looks like they're not sure how it works. It's also used in a euphoria-inducing cocktail that is popular among youth in Thailand, with some deaths reported, some disputed.

I know it failed me on that Utila barrier island. It might have worked on mosquitoes which are still the biggest risk, but the biting bugs must have loved it. I think I'd take DEET, Icaridin/picaridin, and mineral oil - try one and if it failed, try another. Have the hydrocortisone for backup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom