Remote air intake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
Is it necessary to have one on a gas powered compressor?

The unit is going to be used on the deck of boat primarily. So it's outside in an open area with lots of air flow. On the other hand that built in intake is pretty close to the motor. I'm thinking it may be a good idea to play it safe, and get the remote, so I can move the intake up on one of the rails...further away from the motor.

Yes, and you can't use the same size hose as the inlet to the compressor. I don't remember the rule of thumb for the increase in diameter of intake hose per foot from compressor, but it is critical you don't choke the inlet of the machine. PM CraigAClark. He'll know the answer off the top of his head.

That's pretty much what I thought. At first I was going to skip on it, but then realized...

Plenty of people die from the exhaust from a car, so air inlet next to gas motor, no matter how small, is probably not a good idea.

I ran a gas compressor for many years without an intake snorkel and never had a problem. That being said I always oriented the exhaust down wind of the intake. I do use one now and feel it actually helps compressor efficiency slightly by inducing a slight ram air effect to the compressor intake just as long intake runners on an engine do. I column of air in motion tends to stay in motion.

Is it necessary to have one on a gas powered compressor?

The unit is going to be used on the deck of boat primarily. So it's outside in an open area with lots of air flow. On the other hand that built in intake is pretty close to the motor. I'm thinking it may be a good idea to play it safe, and get the remote, so I can move the intake up on one of the rails...further away from the motor.

i would use a remote intake not only because of the engine but as a means to get dry air to compress. i am assuming that you have air conditioned spaces. suck the air from there and you take less chance of filling wet air if you miss a periodic moisture separator draining. even if you have auto drains. (i am no expert) i would think the seperator is more effective when it is 10% full than 70%.. also a CO filter on the discharge .... with the snorkle it should last for a long time.

for what it is worth.

good luck

Air conditioning on a boat? Hell no! I just removed the AC, last time I was in the yard. I'm a live aboard, and this is a boat that's primarily going to be on the hook.

Air conditioning on a boat? Hell no! I just removed the AC, last time I was in the yard. I'm a live aboard, and this is a boat that's primarily going to be on the hook.

perhaps i did not understand. the boats i have been on have been live abord and the living spaces were air conditioned. as such they would have much lower humidity in them.

Guess I should have been a little more specific in my OP. Didn't think of AC being a factor, though. Yeah larger live aboards, with HUGE diesel engines and generators have no problem running AC. I'm only a 34' cat, though. Could have bought a small gas powered genny to run AC on the hook, but I'd prefer to not store a bunch of gas aboard. Plus with limited space, it was a choice between genny or compressor.

Just ask whoever you are buying your compressor from to put on an intake hose. It is easy, cheap and you can locate the inlet away from the engine. We always put one on a gas driven diving compressor for free.

Actually I already have the unit. It was initially set up for paint ball,though. Just wanted to get opinions before adding the part to an order I'm already working on. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom