Remote air intake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK ... then go ahead and get the snorkel. One with an inlet filter is only about $45. Additionally, you may have to upgrade the filter system with a priority valve and breathing air filter. Also make sure that you check and re-set the final relief valve since paint ball is usually set to 4600 psi. Oh yeah... make sure you do a good oil change and evaluate the old oil. Paintballers are notorious for not taking care of their compressors.

Which compressor do you have?

The MCH6 / 3.5 G compact.

I think I'm pretty much set at this point...at least parts wise.

Hose is on order from Nuvair.
Got the PDF on how to reset the valve, just need to get around to actually doing it.
Replaced the fill hose with a DIN one, and remove the paintball charging valve.
Got a few new filters, just haven't installed them yet.
And a few quarts of the 455. I doubt the oil will be too bad, this unit was barely used. Only has 1.4 hours on it.

Thanks

I have a Max-Air 35 (same as Contri MCH6). It is gas engine driven and has a snorkel.

I removed the snorkel the other day and when doing so I noticed a 1/8in hole on the compressor inlet casing just below where the snorkel screws in. I was thinking that air could also come in thru that hole even when using the snorkel.

Is that hole a standard thing and if so why is it there when it could be a source for CO from the engine to enter the inlet of the compressor?

John

I think a remote air intake is a requirement. You need to consider not only the exhaust of the gas powered compressor but also the boat exhaust. You need to be able to move the air intake around so that the intake can always be located upwind of all exhausts.

Is that hole a standard thing and if so why is it there when it could be a source for CO from the engine to enter the inlet of the compressor?

John

No. Of course there are bolt holes but nothing that is just open to the atmosphere. Sounds like you need a new head.

While you are at it, inspect the valve plate and make sure that the carbon fiber reed is still stiff and laying flat against the inlet and outlet ports.

Attachments

• MCH6firststageHead.gif
    MCH6firststageHead.gif
    7.7 KB · Views: 63
True Capt. Dale, but that can easily be solved by not running the engine when filling.

Not being able to run your compressor while underway would severly limit the logistics of your operation. That would mean not being able to move from one location to another during a surface interval if you need to fill tanks.

Not being able to run your compressor while underway would severly limit the logistics of your operation. That would mean not being able to move from one location to another during a surface interval if you need to fill tanks.

True for you, Capt. Dale, but Grunzster is a liveaboard sailboat, filling tanks for his personal use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom