Remove battery from dive computer for the winter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aaron Lambright

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello.

We are approaching the first winter after I purchased my dive computer. It is a Mares Puck Pro. I'm trying to figure out if it would be better to remove battery for 6 month I won't be diving or should I leave it in. I see arguments for both. Remove it so the battery isn't drained and doesn't corrode the connections but "break" the seal of the battery compartment. Leave it in and as is, it doesn't pull that much power and should last 6 months. Don't mess with the seal!

Looking for your thoughts!
Thanks!

Or keep diving... problem solved. :)

The battery seal is going to get broken sooner or later, just be careful to keep it clean and lube if required.

I'm not familiar with that specific computer, but I would think that all of your specific preferences that you set will be lost as well...

I leave my battery in until I get a low battery warning because I hate to reset the settings such as date, time, etc.

I see no benefit to removing it for the winter. It will not drain that much with the screen off and you will not risk loosing settings or data.
It's a good practice to put a fresh battery in when your diving season resumes anyway, so breaking the seal is really not a concern.

I’ve never removed a battery until I have to replace it and had no problems, I go with not breaking the seal. I’ve always had various Suuntos that use large button cells and they last a couple years. Usually sits at least 4-6 months between using. A different sort of computer/battery I might do something different.

keep diving... problem solved. :)
Seconded.

Here in green water country, the winter is the only time we have good vis. That's a great argument for just continuing diving.

Seconded.

Here in green water country, the winter is the only time we have good vis. That's a great argument for just continuing diving.
Yes, assuming he has a drysuit like you or is crazy to dive wet like me.
I rarely use my computer--maybe once a year. So the battery only goes in for that occasion. A couple have said that you'll have to replace the battery sooner or later -- I assume so you don't run out of power during a dive day. So breaking the seal will happen anyway.
OTOH, I never remove the tiny battery from my (always used) $25 dive watch. There I am concerned with the seal because there is never a need to break it--I pull the tab to stop the watch after it has dried from rinsing. Figure the battery will last a long time (at least until I lose yet my 3rd dive watch). How much does a new battery cost anyway--maybe 1/2 the price of the watch?
I did hear years ago that once a seal on a watch is broken the likelihood of it flooding increases. Don't know if that also applies to DCs.

How much does a new battery cost anyway--maybe 1/2 the price of the watch?
I did hear years ago that once a seal on a watch is broken the likelihood of it flooding increases. Don't know if that also applies to DCs.

I have an old Tag Heuer watch that I used to wear diving but is now just a watch. I just had it at the jeweller... they actually have a little chamber there... new battery, o-ring and pressure test was $48 and that battery will last 3 years or so.

On the other hand, my Timex Ironman, is pretty much a disposable. Usually the rubber wristband goes before the watch!

My dive computers are Shearwaters. I usually change the batteries a couple of times a season, not long after the indicator starts to move. They just takes AAs, so cheap as dirt.

If it's a lithium battery, it shouldn't be susceptible to corrosion. Alkalines are known to leak when they get completely discharged. But then again, there are reports like this: Mares Puck Pro Battery Life

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom