Removing items from the USS Oriskany (interesting dilemma)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don Janni:
Oh my... So the man cooked his own goose? Okay, no more defending him. I still doubt Tim Thorsen directed him to the phone. Tim was proud of that phone and I would think considered it a tourest draw of sorts.

What a mess...

Yep. He plainly stated via email the items he took, and how he did it.

I'd be interested to know if Rich Sleepy is reading this thread?

As for Capt Tim, in his defense, since he has told more than one set of divers about it, he might have just been telling Rich about it because he liked it and had no idea that Rich would bring it up. But you don't tell a diver who has crowbars, chisels, mallets and hacksaws on his dive belt where all the goodies are. so you have to wonder what the heck was he thinking!

mike_s:
Yep. He plainly stated via email the items he took, and how he did it.

I'd be interested to know if Rich Sleepy is reading this thread?

As for Capt Tim, in his defense, since he has told more than one set of divers about it, he might have just been telling Rich about it because he liked it and had no idea that Rich would bring it up. But you don't tell a diver who has crowbars, chisels, mallets and hacksaws on his dive belt where all the goodies are. so you have to wonder what the heck was he thinking!

The opinions both my wife and I formed of Tim Thorsen are that he is a very particular and very professional individual. He gave a long pre-departure briefing that bordered on boring, you know the kind. Upon arrival at the site and after a long trip due to heavy seas, his dive briefing was thorough. He went through all the steps and was more comprehensive about it than most I've dived with. His boat is immaculate and his personal gear as well as Brittany's was well cared for. Everything I observed about him said this is a very thoughtful and caring person.

These are not the characteristics of a man who would encourage the defacing of the Oriskany or theft of items from this new reef sunk in his own back yard for the purpose of attracting divers which directly effects his livelihood.

There may be more to this story but for now I'm still diving with Viking next time I'm in Pensacola.

Don - That was very well said. I had heard the same thing of the Viking operation just 2 weeks ago from a guy diving on the same boat as I was on.

As you state, there maybe more to this story..

Diver Dennis:
I have been in contact with Channel 3 (ABC) news in Pensacola. I will let you know what happens.
Ugh, I can see it now: "Scuba divers are looting the Oriskiny! Details at eleven"

Diver Dennis:
Don't worry. I have a friend with a contact who might do a little "informal" poking around.

Not yet Barry, check the next post I made...

BarryNL:
Ugh, I can see it now: "Scuba divers are looting the Oriskiny! Details at eleven"

Yeah..... I agree the news media will blow this out of prorportion... we shouldn't feed this to the media. Lots of NAVY folks both active duty and retired in P'Cola. This on the TV news will be a detriment to the Navy's use of ships as artificial reefs.

NetDoc:
Well,

I sent Greg a link to our discussion. :D Did he mention us at all?

No... he didn't mention Scubaboard at all.

He did mention someone taking the "control panel" and the "phone", but didn't mention Scubaboard. He just called it that these divers were posting online "in these forums" after taking items.

This is my first time listening to Scuba Radio.

He mentioned organizations that are trying to sink these wrecks, and referenced NORAD. (I think he maybe meant NOAA, but he said plainly said NORAD. I was like "huh?". Where the heck did he pull NORAD out in that discussion? heh :D ).

Back
Top Bottom