Removing items from the USS Oriskany (interesting dilemma)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey buddy - just got back from diving all day today and thought I'd check in on this thread. Strong words dude, do you have the clout to entice Mr. Rich Sleppy into coming to ScubaBoard and joining in? I feel the conversation is very one sided since its based on his post on Yahoo and nobody but Capt. Tim has showed the side of the diving that occured that day. You by chance wouldn't be able to fill in some gaps.

I look forward to reading future posts from ya buddy!

scuba_james:
Diver Dennis,
If you, mike s and the rest of the folks on this list want to hear from Mr. Sleppy then why don't you confront him on a list that he subscribes to, such as the list his original post was taken from, instead of attacking him behind his back like a bunch of cowards. I don't agree with taking from an artificial reef, what's the point??? But I certainly don't agree with what the vultures on this list are doing. What a pathetic show of cowardness you people display. Hell, most of you post all day every day, indicating that you put very little time into actually diving. Of course, if it were not for you people cyber diving your lives away, the waters would be too crowded for those of us that do actually dive. Pathetic indeed!

Just my 2 cents! :)
scuba james.

mike_s:
BigDave. originally I thought they were deleted but Perrone Ford and I determined that I just overlooked them. We found them and as you point out above, none of it was deleted.

As for the original poster of the thread (Rich Sleppy), I was surrised that no one "commented" on his post in that forum.
When you "determined" that you had overlooked the post then why didn't you post that to SB also? Why wait until bigDave pointed it out to you? You're the biggest coward of all!!! You obviously subscribe to techdiver se, why didn't you "comment" on Mr. Sleppy's post there??? You seem to have no problem expecting others to. You were surprised that others didn't... right??? But you didn't have any problem taking his post to another list, a list that he obviously doesn't frequent. You certainly possess a character worthy of pride.

Again, nothing personal, just my 2 cents! :)

sj

scuba_james:
Again, nothing personal, just my 2 cents! :)

sj
Nothing personal? Indeed ...

scuba_james:
Of course, if it were not for you people cyber diving your lives away, the waters would be too crowded for those of us that do actually dive. Pathetic indeed!
That's a buttload of assumptions.

FWIW - I've logged well over 200 dives so far in 2006. Some on this board make me look like a slacker.

And you?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Then it's obvious that you, and the other active divers on SB, wouldn't be included in the "most of you post all day every day, indicating that you put very little time into actually diving" comment that I made. Right? The opportunity for you to get offended will always be there, all you have to do is take advantage of it.

Over a hundred dives per year with most dives being 90-120 minutes in duration, some longer. Not much for bounce (short) dives.

sj

CBulla:
Hey buddy - just got back from diving all day today and thought I'd check in on this thread. Strong words dude, do you have the clout to entice Mr. Rich Sleppy into coming to ScubaBoard and joining in? I feel the conversation is very one sided since its based on his post on Yahoo and nobody but Capt. Tim has showed the side of the diving that occured that day. You by chance wouldn't be able to fill in some gaps.

I look forward to reading future posts from ya buddy!
I wasn't on the dive trip so I really can't help you there. My suggestion would be to go to the list where the post was originally made and inquire there. That's what should have happened in the first place, IMHO.

Thanks and I look forward to posting (and reading post) when time allows.
sj

scuba_james:
Then it's obvious that you, and the other active divers on SB, wouldn't be included in the "most of you post all day every day, indicating that you put very little time into actually diving" comment that I made. Right? The opportunity for you to get offended will always be there, all you have to do is take advantage of it.

Over a hundred dives per year with most dives being 90-120 minutes in duration, some longer. Not much for bounce (short) dives.

sj
I didn't take offense at all, James ... I just think folks should use narrower brushes when they make comments. There are a lot of very active divers involved in this discussion ... and I seriously doubt that either lack of experience or cowardice is a motivation in their desire to express themselves.

But I do post all day every day ... at least, when I'm not diving ... :eyebrow:

As to the topic at hand, I would be happy to discuss my differences of views with Mr. Sleppy directly ... and not in an insulting or demeaning sort of way. As adults we should know how to discuss differences of opinion while respecting the other's point of view. I'm not interested in castigating the man ... but I wouldn't mind understanding his motivation, and helping him understand why so many legitimately find it upsetting.

To my concern, taking items from a wreck and taking items from an intentionally-sunk artificial reef are very different things. The latter was put there, and prepared specifically for public use. It isn't ... nor should any part of it become ... the "personal" property of any one diver. We have several artificial reefs around here, and I can tell you that the charters I've gone out on would not allow someone to take artifacts off any of them ... for pretty much the reasons that have been discussed in this thread.

Surely someone who dives wrecks as often as Mr. Sleppy understands the difference between a wreck and a reef ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I believe I posted a reply/invitation on the yahoo group. I didn't see it show up, but I'm not willing to post a 2nd reply in the event that it takes time to be filtered through before posting.

scuba_james:
The pointing out of things stopped way back at the beginning of this thread, what you people are doing is bashing someone behind their back. At least confront Mr. Sleppy on the list that he posted to. He didn't post to scubaboard, why would you attack him on scubaboard. Again... pathetic!

You might note that I made my feelings known to Mr Sleppy, and the rest of the folk on the list in question. Watch you're your calling a coward buddy.

By the way, what's your name. You have mine...

Since I see that there is a large group of people who think that removing stuff from wrecks is a grand idea, I have decided to join those ranks. I am going to float the Speigle Grove and use it as a lawn orniment in my front yard. Anyone want to help?

CBulla:
I believe I posted a reply/invitation on the yahoo group. I didn't see it show up, but I'm not willing to post a 2nd reply in the event that it takes time to be filtered through before posting.
Oh great....so now SE-TD is going to be inundated with 2 thousand morons waving "save the Big O" banners, and burning effigies of Rich Sleppy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom