Removing items from the USS Oriskany (interesting dilemma)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seadoggirl:
I emailed Capt Tim and got a really strong email response. He said that the story posted was not accurate. I asked him to come on the board and let his side be known. I don't think he has but there is so much here I couldn't read the whole thing again. Regardless, it was wrong. AND it makes me sad!

Well, after the console came up and diver bragging started, surely the crew or captain noticed the savaged item. At least you would expect the captain to tell the diver not to bring up other items on the 2nd dive.

Acurate story or not, the captain is responsible for what happens on his boat.

There were 52 US submarines and over 70 British subs sunk during WW2. One out of every 4 US sub sailors died during WW2, the highest mortality rate of any branch of service. I'm not a "tree hugger" but I practice "catch and release" when I go bass fishing and I try not to harm any critters or the environment when I dive. I'm afraid I wouldn't feel that way if I saw someone stealing artifacts from any country's war ships. I don't care what some "sea lawyer" has to say about the legality.

So let me get this right, we can spearfish and take life from the reef but not a rusted old bolt ?

seadoggirl:
I emailed Capt Tim and got a really strong email response. He said that the story posted was not accurate. I asked him to come on the board and let his side be known. I don't think he has but there is so much here I couldn't read the whole thing again. Regardless, it was wrong. AND it makes me sad!
Maybe Oriskany Divemaster can see if these artifacts actually remain. After all, the first response for MANY who are caught with their hand in the cookie jar? "I didn't do it". Later their response evolves to "I am not a crook!" :D

I spoke with Captain Tim on the phone earlier. He called me, and is a little pissed at the whole thing. He's trying to get on the board to explain his side but is having technical trouble. But there's no doubt whatsoever Sleppy took the panel.

douglasville diver:
So let me get this right, we can spearfish and take life from the reef but not a rusted old bolt ?

That seems to be the mentality around here.

douglasville diver:

Jason B:

A rusted bolt laying on the deck is one thing. But if you you can come with a recipe to grill the Control Panel, I might consider your argument.

douglasville diver:

The diver in question did not take just "an old rusted bolt".

Jason B:

The mentality here is to leave the ship the way it was sunk for the enjoyment of other divers. That control panel was not removed so that divers could see something more interesting than just a hole, which is what is left now.

Diver Dennis:
The mentality here is to leave the ship the way it was sunk for the enjoyment of other divers. That control panel was not removed so that divers could see something more interesting than just a hole, which is what is left now.

Nicely done, DD.

Back
Top Bottom