rental dive computers and residual nitrogen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ballastbelly

Contributor
Reaction score
everything you rent has the potential to have something residual in it,

just curious, in the case of dive computers wont renting a DC that someone else just used, mean that the other persons nitrogen data will be affecting the algorithm?

i myself have a zoop , & from what i understand from the manual, it uses the past 4 days data & there is no reset feature.

thx,
b

......just curious, in the case of dive computers wont renting a DC that someone else just used, mean that the other persons nitrogen data will be affecting the algorithm?....
Yes. It will.

Sure will. Depending on the computer and how conservative it is, there will be variance in the odds of your long period tissue compartments being impacted by it and it making any difference in your dive, but under the right confluence of circumstances (like the computer being rented out for the past week to a person who dove 4x/day and pushed NDLs aggressively) it could wind up giving you some pretty short NDL times and/or punishing you with unearned decompression obligations.

As stated, they will...if they are still within the computer's 24 hour "no fly time".

It's easy to check the computer and see if it still shows "no fly time".

We rent DCs and provide DCs to our students. They sit for 24 hours before they go out again. Typically not a problem in our case.

i myself have a zoop , & from what i understand from the manual, it uses the past 4 days data & there is no reset feature.

I was told that taking the battery out, and putting it back in helps... there is a dedicated tool that makes it easy. This being said, in the very unlikely case when I were to actually use a rental, I would rather dive with the residual to be safe.

Best advise thus far is to look at no fly time.

As stated, they will...if they are still within the computer's 24 hour "no fly time".

It's easy to check the computer and see if it still shows "no fly time".

We rent DCs and provide DCs to our students. They sit for 24 hours before they go out again. Typically not a problem in our case.

Is there something magical about no-fly time that means that all compartments have equalized to ambient? This doesn't sound quite right.

No, but with the computers that I am familiar with, they begin a new sequence of dives with no residual carrying over after 24 hours. Otherwise they just continue as the next repetitive dive in the series. After 24 hours everything reverts to square one.

It's the "easiest" way for the OP to ensure there is no carry-forward when using a rental computer, that's all. Nothing "magical" about anything.

Many computer do have a reset feature. Dive shops often use those types specifically so that they can be used then made "fresh" for the next diver. Even if it can't be reset, the only outcome would be a slightly lower NDL time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom