Renting Pony Tanks in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lots of work and effort really - sling a 40 if you want the security - leave the whips and bottles at home.

You are on vacation to relax and enjoy........

What dive shops rent pony tanks in Cozumel? I'm mainly interested in 19cf or 13cf, but open to other sizes 40cf or less.
That is something you would need to supply yourself and have the shop full for you.

Meridiano does have pony's for rent. I think just 40s.

You will still need to bring sling to Side mount them unless you have a pony bracket to attach to tank.

I have 40's here, some shops have 40's - I also have a transfill whip.....
So Meridiano and some shops have 40s? Just bring a sling?

So Meridiano and some shops have 40s? Just bring a sling?

Yes absolutely - I would contact who you are diving with and ask them but many of us tech dive and have 40's. Meridiano is where you would see 40's, AICO is not working with pure O2 at the moment.

Most 40's here will need emptied and refilled with whatever you are using as a bailout and double check about the rigging, most that I see have no rigging.

I hardly notice carrying a 40, it's maybe twice the size of a 19 - if you really want the added safety, it is what it is.

Tanks are stupid expensive here, one reason you just don't see odd things laying around.

Most 40's here will need emptied and refilled with whatever you are using as a bailout and double check about the rigging, most that I see have no rigging
Ok, thanks. I'm just a clumsy vacation diver and solo traveler with no faith in boat pick buddies. I do want my auxiliary air, but since I have the 19 anyway, that goes wherever I dive, and overpack anyway, I'll bring mine. Bit good to know.

Ok, thanks. I'm just a clumsy vacation diver and solo traveler with no faith in boat pick buddies.
Last Coz trip I had DM run out of gas about 25-30 minutes into the dive.

Buy a transfer whip and take that with you. Rent a tank when you get there and equalize your pony to the rented tank. You have a nearly full pony in under 30 minutes and you are out $10 each trip down.
This is what I was thinking, too. Seems a simple enough solution.

Alternately, why not simply equalize it with the two Al 80's you are provided on your two-tank dive--you know, as you would with a two tank cascade system: Equalize using one Al 80. Then equalize using the second Al 80. Then use the second Al 80 for your first dive, the deeper dive. Then use the first Al 80 for your repetitive dive, the shallower dive. An equalizing whip doesn't take up much more room than a spare HP or IP hose--especially if it doesn't have a pressure gauge. Arrive at the boat a bit early, and do this equalizing just before you set up your gear. Wouldn't this work?

rx7diver

This is what I was thinking, too. Seems a simple enough solution.

Alternately, why not simply equalize it with the two Al 80's you are provided on your two-tank dive--you know, as you would with a two tank cascade system: Equalize using one Al 80. Then equalize using the second Al 80. Then use the second Al 80 for your first dive, the deeper dive. Then use the first Al 80 for your repetitive dive, the shallower dive. An equalizing whip doesn't take up much more room than a spare HP or IP hose--especially if it doesn't have a pressure gauge. Arrive at the boat a bit early, and do this equalizing just before you set up your gear. Wouldn't this work?

rx7diver
I also carry a tank guage with me so I can check pressures without my reg set. I don't see any issue with doing it that way at all. Could even do a mix of the two. Initial fill with the rented tank would get maybe 2600-2700 (guess because I don't want to math or care to check) and then top it off with your 1st tank of the day to get closer to 3k. Either way you have about 10 min of ascent air for when sht hits the fan.

My Transfill whip weighs 2 pounds and is DIN-DIN as I have a DIN valve on my 19 cu ft Pony. So I also need to bring a yoke to DIN adapter which weighs 0.8 pounds.
My equalizing whip, which I purchased new in ~1993, is a very simple yoke-to-yoke whip, with no gauge. (I keep a brass yoke-to-300Br DIN thingy, which I have owned since ~1988, in my save-a-dive kit, which, too, always travels with me.) The whip is not much larger than a spare IP or HP hose.

rx7diver

All sounds great...please know your boat/dive shop policies and be sure they know your plans in advance. The folks I dive with in Coz are pretty easy going and want everyone to be comfortable however they choose to dive, but please try to avoid "unscripted drama" once you're on the boat that could impact the enjoyment of the other divers. Be kind to others... 'cause (especially on dive boats) they are trying to be kind to you. All IMHO, YMMV. :clearmask::) Of course if @gopbroek gets involved...you're golden...:bounce::bounce::bounce::thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom