Report from Sipadan and Seaventures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok change of plans have to go to lembeh till the 29th. Now if i want to do a week in Sipidan and dive Sipidan as much as possible you think it will be bad if I book the week of 1st -8th which is during Chinese New Years? Otherwise thinking head to the Philippines for 3 weeks then Sipidan on my way back? What would you guys do?

I think I will be going Seaventure route as I am on a tight budget and SJ charges too much for Sipidan considering Seaventures only charges extra for the permit. That is if there is room for me. That overall is my biggest fear is getting there and there are too many people and I cant dive Sipidan as much as possible.

Thanks again.
I would go with Plan B. Trying to go to Sipadan during CNY is madness. It's a multi-day public holiday in the home country of Sipadan (Malaysia) and there will be tons of people there with the resulting competition for permits to dive Sipadan proper. Go to PI first and swing back around to Sipadan when it's not a holiday week.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Snarky Posts and those referring to them have been removed.
Please take any personal issues to PM.
Thanks

I am thinking of diving with seaventures early feb, in the process of booking, how does the unlimited "house reef" dives work? can me and my buddy just go out whenever without a DM? (im AOW)

I am thinking of diving with seaventures early feb, in the process of booking, how does the unlimited "house reef" dives work? can me and my buddy just go out whenever without a DM? (im AOW)

Yes, you can. You just grab tanks, take the elevator down to the platform, and splash in to dive the "house reef." Having said that, it's not so much a "reef" but rather a cluster of pilings holding the rig up with associated structures and debris lying on the sea floor. Lots of marine life there under the rig!

You will also find that they do not allow diving after a certain time.. I think it was 7 or 8, so no real night dives. Check with them for the specific time.

Also, they will strongly recommend against diving under the rig if there is significant current and you may have to wait for a tide change. We had to do this (wait for a tide change) every day that we dove under the rig.

I would go with Plan B. Trying to go to Sipadan during CNY is madness. It's a multi-day public holiday in the home country of Sipadan (Malaysia) and there will be tons of people there with the resulting competition for permits to dive Sipadan proper. Go to PI first and swing back around to Sipadan when it's not a holiday week.

I agree with this... All (almost) the Sg, M'sia based divers will be making use of the 4 days of cny this year! I think it is quite difficult to get good airfare deals during that time...

sounds awesome! seaventures is probably the go for my trip then. they said its guaranteed for each inhouse diver to get a sipadan dive permit for at least one day of their trip, is this just a lure tactic? or is it for min stay (eg 5d/4n etc.) guests?

I cant wait to get back in the water, been nearly a year!

sounds awesome! seaventures is probably the go for my trip then. they said its guaranteed for each inhouse diver to get a sipadan dive permit for at least one day of their trip, is this just a lure tactic? or is it for min stay (eg 5d/4n etc.) guests?...
If they promised you at least one day, then I would take them on their word. If they get full though, they couldn't promise everyone Sipidan every day, so when full, people have to alternate days, When not full (or practically empty as it was with me), you get a pretty decent chance of going any day.
On the days you don't go to Sipiadan you go to Mabul and that is great too!

Its the luck of the draw. The day your chosen to go may not have the best conditions then again it may be good when you are chosen. I went 3 out of 4 days so I was happy to get 7-8 dives in a short time. It was pretty good weather except 1 overcast day with choppy seas. Even then viz was 30m at turtle patch.

Thanks guys!
I think we will go with seaventures even if we cant dive at sipadan. i would like to do the house reef and a few mabul/kapalai dives too. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom