Reputable Cave Guides in Akumal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Smokin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi!

I'm looking for some recommendations for reliable cave guides and safe hotels in Akumal. I've been there once and dived/stayed with Aquatech/Villas De Rosa, but did not like their operation. I'd like to go back and do some more cave diving, but I am concerned about the reliability of the dive operators. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Stay away from AquaTech!! Try Dive Caribe, or the 2 shops in downtown Akumal.

We just returned from 10 days in Akumal and they went out 1 day the whole time. Thier operation has gone down hill fast in the past couple of years.

We dove with them last year and noticed thigs had changed from a previous year. This year they had a "I could careless if you dive with us" attitude.

We had email them several weeks in advance on prices and packages as our list was last years. We received no response from them. Upon our arrival to Akumal, we stopped by the shop to sign up for some cenote dives and some reef dives, we waited for 30 minutes before anyone there could answer our questions. I asked why they hadn't replied to our email, and was told they didn't receive it, (I received a delivery receipt) Nancy checked her email and there were my 5 emails.... She said "Oh well, I thought someone was sending Me dive prices..." Then she gave an excuse that her computer died, then another that she was having trouble with the web page, then another excuse about her email. All we received was "I don't know, or Maybe tommorrow"

After 3 days of wasted diving, because they didn't have a dive master, the ocean was to rough or the captain didn't want to go out today, we went to another shop and dove.

Talking with different people that were at the different shops in Akumal, it seems that AquaTech is more interested in renting their condos than diving. Also, we were told that because of the divorce of the owners (Nancy and Tony), Tony has moved back to Utah and he was the one who ran the dive progams.

Chris

chrisc:
Stay away from AquaTech!! Try Dive Caribe, or the 2 shops in downtown Akumal.

We just returned from 10 days in Akumal and they went out 1 day the whole time. Thier operation has gone down hill fast in the past couple of years.

We dove with them last year and noticed thigs had changed from a previous year. This year they had a "I could careless if you dive with us" attitude.

We had email them several weeks in advance on prices and packages as our list was last years. We received no response from them. Upon our arrival to Akumal, we stopped by the shop to sign up for some cenote dives and some reef dives, we waited for 30 minutes before anyone there could answer our questions. I asked why they hadn't replied to our email, and was told they didn't receive it, (I received a delivery receipt) Nancy checked her email and there were my 5 emails.... She said "Oh well, I thought someone was sending Me dive prices..." Then she gave an excuse that her computer died, then another that she was having trouble with the web page, then another excuse about her email. All we received was "I don't know, or Maybe tommorrow"

After 3 days of wasted diving, because they didn't have a dive master, the ocean was to rough or the captain didn't want to go out today, we went to another shop and dove.

Talking with different people that were at the different shops in Akumal, it seems that AquaTech is more interested in renting their condos than diving. Also, we were told that because of the divorce of the owners (Nancy and Tony), Tony has moved back to Utah and he was the one who ran the dive progams.

Chris

Thanks Chris. It sounds like your experience with Nancy de Rosa was much like mine. However, my main concern was the maintenance of their rental equipment. Everyday except the last day there was, at least, one problem with a canister light that failed in the cave or didn't work properly or was in need of immediate repair. Fortunately, the failures were batteries that went flat on the way out so at I got half a dive, but not half off the price. The rented deco bottle regulator freeflowed the first day it was used. I had tanks that had loose tank bands and one that leaked from the manifold probably due to loose tank bands. It looked to me like all the problems were just plain neglect and mismanagement. When I confronted Nancy de Rosa I got, like you, a list of excuses. I guess I was supposed to pick one I liked!?! I talked to some people who had stayed at Villas de Rosa in the past and they also said that it had deteriorated over the last couple of years. It's unfortunate since they were pioneers in the cave community there in the Yucatan.

On a positive note though, my dive guide, Gonzalo, was good and so were the caves.

I did a few searches online and found nothing for "Dive Caribe". Is that the name of the operation?

If you just had problems with the operators, but not the place I can't recommend Connie LoRe enough. Been on a couple trips with her and she's first class. You do stay at A/VDR though (which I really like).

http://www.cavedivemexico.com/

Roak

Ps. Here's a Connie trip report of mine from a couple years ago: http://www.scubaboard.com/t4872.html

Dive Caribe is the shop at the Oasis Akumal. The prices were about $10 higher than AquaTech, but they went out everyday and they had good equipment. We brought our own equipment so I am not sure the condition of the rental. What I did see, the rentalsa were ScubaPro Regs and Suunto guages.

Chris

Try Connie at cavedivemexico.com. She uses Aquatech, but manages it all to the nth degree with seamless operation. She takes care of any thing behind the scenes and all goes off without a hitch. I've gone with her 3 years running now to Aquatech/Villla De Rosa and have had a wonderful time, every time. Gonzalo is wonderful, as you know....you may consider contacting him directly and he'll make sure you're taken care of as well.

Keep in mind....Aquatech has an electric compressor. NOT gas like the ill-fated Hidden Worlds. It is Mexico, after all.....you must take it all in stride, the good air with the sometimes bad service.

Smokin..... I replied much the same in your Mexico post under the travel forum. Roak is quite right, Connie is first class. You won't be sorry.

AquaTech does not have an electric compressor in the van, and I did not see a compressor in the main storage/rental area. A vehicle running next to a fill area is very bad, no matter if it is gas or eletric. The other people that were staying with Nancy said that they had NUMEROUS problems while there. Sadly, this trip was the last that we will ever deal with AquaTech or Villas DeRosa.

I would not want my company's reputation resting on another company service. If cavedivemexico.com is using AquaTech, I would be VERY worried. If they only use them for the rooms, that's one thing, but if they use them for anything else, I'd look else where.

Chris

Chris....I'm not going to battle with you, but yes, Aquatech does have an electric compressor. Just because it's located in the van does not mean it's not electric. Wayne is very anal about his compressor and it's maintenance. Sorry you had a bad time, but cave diving with Connie LoRe as your guide is complete pleasure without any hassles. I've been there 3 times and not had a single problem. If you are a cave diver, maybe you should look up Connie....if you aren't....you may want to stay at your other choices for open water.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom