Reputable Cave Guides in Akumal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Smokin, if you want a good dive guide theres loads in the area i live here and cave dive nearly every day, try and get in touch with Bil phillips, steve bogarts, or robbie schmitner, they all do private tours to the caves, and are exploring new caves all the time, if you need email addresses then get in touch.

hotprestwich:
Hi Smokin, if you want a good dive guide theres loads in the area i live here and cave dive nearly every day, try and get in touch with Bil phillips, steve bogarts, or robbie schmitner, they all do private tours to the caves, and are exploring new caves all the time, if you need email addresses then get in touch.

Thanks Hotprestwich, I would really appreciate those emails.

Diver Lori:
Try Connie at cavedivemexico.com. She uses Aquatech, but manages it all to the nth degree with seamless operation. She takes care of any thing behind the scenes and all goes off without a hitch. I've gone with her 3 years running now to Aquatech/Villla De Rosa and have had a wonderful time, every time. Gonzalo is wonderful, as you know....you may consider contacting him directly and he'll make sure you're taken care of as well.

Keep in mind....Aquatech has an electric compressor. NOT gas like the ill-fated Hidden Worlds. It is Mexico, after all.....you must take it all in stride, the good air with the sometimes bad service.

Thanks Diver Lori, I'll take a look at the site, but if there are other options I'd rather explore those before using Aquatech. Also, I got a card from Gonzalo when I left, but the emails I sent came back "undelivered". If you have a valid email for him I'd appreciate getting it from you.

As for the compressors, I think you're right they are electric, but I never had a problem with their air or nitrox, just what seems to be poor management of their dive shop, and the "can't be bothered" attitude of Nancy de Rosa.

Smokin:
Hi!

I'm looking for some recommendations for reliable cave guides and safe hotels in Akumal. I've been there once and dived/stayed with Aquatech/Villas De Rosa, but did not like their operation. I'd like to go back and do some more cave diving, but I am concerned about the reliability of the dive operators. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Just out of curiosity, who did you end up diving with? :06:

I did my training with Danny and Chris while they were at AquaTech a little over a year ago.
We seen the compressors in the van and had no problem with the air.
We were not happy with Nancy either and got a lot of run around from her but Danny and Chris were amazing.
We went back 6 months later, used Danny and Chris but stayed somewhere else in Akumal.
We will be going back again in October of this year and again will use Danny and Chris. They opened their own shop last fall.
http://www.dir-mexico.com/home.htm
Just my personal experience.

Kaz

Diver Lori:
NOT gas like the ill-fated Hidden Worlds. .

Lori, if you have any relevant info on that particular issue, there is a thread regarding the death of Clement Pouillot (in this forum) that would be the appropriate place to post it.

Smokin:
Hi!

I'm looking for some recommendations for reliable cave guides and safe hotels in Akumal. I've been there once and dived/stayed with Aquatech/Villas De Rosa, but did not like their operation. I'd like to go back and do some more cave diving, but I am concerned about the reliability of the dive operators. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

My wife and I stayed in Akumal last summer and absolutely loved it. Was the only vacation thus far where we had a tough time leaving. We stayed in an owner-rental condo on half-moon bay and saw some pretty cool marine life right in the bay itself while snorkeling.

We did quite a few dives in and around Akumal and Cozumel, but used The Akumal Dive Shop primarily for our dives including a cavern dive at Dos Ojos. Absolutely spectacular cavern dive and our instructor from the ADS was great - made us feel comfortable and well-prepared for our first cavern dive. Everyone in the dive shop was personable and friendly and treated us great even when we were the only two going out on a night dive or the cavern dive!

By the way, if you've never done a night dive in the Caribbean, do it! We turned off the lights on the bottom and created a phosphorescent light show just by waving our arms around - a first for us.

Michael

ScubaMick:
My wife and I stayed in Akumal last summer and absolutely loved it. Was the only vacation thus far where we had a tough time leaving. We stayed in an owner-rental condo on half-moon bay and saw some pretty cool marine life right in the bay itself while snorkeling.
If you wouldn't mind, could you please forward on to me the contact info for the rental company/person that you used for the condo...

MM2Carty:
If you wouldn't mind, could you please forward on to me the contact info for the rental company/person that you used for the condo...

After some digging I found the brochure and the website: www.akumalvacations.com 1-800-448-7137

I believe we stayed in The Reef Condos on Half Moon Bay second floor with an amazing view of the Bay.

Many times, if they aren't booked, you can negotiate the condo price.

Forgot to mention our cavern guide's name was Luis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom