Request for accuracy for a film...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All very interesting.

I think I could probably use the narcosis actually, if they were expecting it and had planned a fail-safe. With a rapid ascent, how long would they still feel it once they surface? I need them (or even just one) at least partially lucid to flag down rescue.
One could have even been competent enough for the flagging down thinking and behaviors, even with the effects of 400 foot depths on him....individuals vary greatly on how well they can handle their liquor, or their Narc....Many divers will be blasted and useless at 160...some get this way at 220 ...others start to get this way at 300 or beyond....even falling asleep with the eyes open underwater, and still swimming, will happen to some at around 300. Then there are guys ( were guys) like Sheck Exilly that could "sort of" manage narc even at 500 feet on air....

Is the effect of narcosis the same with everybody, or does it vary depending on the person? It sounds like it can be controlled somewhat with anticipation and mental focus? Could even flip it so the more experienced crew member anticipates it but gets it worse than the rookie...
Knowing about imminent narc would help some....and there is a certain amount of "getting used to operating while impaired" that allows the diver to come up with a system for not biting off more than they can chew, and being able to deal with a limited set of goals for the dive mission. And yes, if you took a population of divers from scubaboard, it is quite possible some of the instructors could be narced out of their minds at 200 feet, while an open water diver with 20 dives might be less impaired or more functional...But in most cases, the more advanced diver will be calmer, and better able to handle the impairment. The rookie is more likely to get the "dark narc" due to so many uncertainties.

I'm avoiding sharks, but it sure would be funny if they shot up straight through a group of them and spooked them to heck.

That could happen....But if you chummed to get the sharks at 100 feet, having 5 stunt divers blow through them at 400 foot per minute ascent speeds, could cause a diver to get attacked....or, it could scare the sharks off. Hard to guess. Might be a good place for Keying the sharks out of a blue water shot somewhere else, and dropping them in on a video layer that makes them appear to be with the protagonists in your story :)

While they do spook, they immediately come back around to see what spooked them. They are apex predators after all. Some don't see very well, so they check out new things by tasting. Hard on the stars.

I'm giving you crap about the sharks. A nice Kraken, though.....

Hey, it's the movie business. Anything I submit is going to be seasoned by a hundred other cooks right through to release. Don't be surprised if they end up exiting the sub and riding the Kraken to the surface...

Hey, it's the movie business. Anything I submit is going to be seasoned by a hundred other cooks right through to release. Don't be surprised if they end up exiting the sub and riding the Kraken to the surface...

Are you writing a screenplay of an existing novel, or a new work all on your own?

If there's no megaladon no one will bother to go see it. Unless you put lots of half exposed boobs in it. Maybe a few fully exposed.

And of course... just for sh*ts and giggles... Someone has already done this...
Have a look at Pioneer Pioneer (2013) - IMDb

Norwegian movie about the HCMF deep sea divers of old. (And just as a curiosity, the scene with the albatross is wrong... the person who actually experienced it said it was an eagle...)

Are you writing a screenplay of an existing novel, or a new work all on your own?

New work. I contemplated writing it as a novel first, but that would only be so I could get paid twice. And they'd most likely kick me off it and hire someone else to adapt.

...and then there's "The Dive" from '89:

Dykket (1989) - IMDb

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

Norwegian movie about the HCMF deep sea divers of old. (And just as a curiosity, the scene with the albatross is wrong... the person who actually experienced it said it was an eagle...)

I actually just watched this the other night on Netflix.

If I start something in a genre/sub-genre, I watch as many similar movies as possible, mainly to make sure I'm not covering ground already done to death.

The dive segments of Pioneer are great, but the rest of it kinda bored me. The trailer sold it as a dive thriller, which is why I think it sank (no pun intended) straight to disc and streaming.

---------- Post added May 6th, 2015 at 11:53 PM ----------

...and then there's "The Dive" from '89:

Dykket (1989) - IMDb

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

Never heard of this one. Thanks - I'll try to track it down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom