Request for accuracy for a film...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, I realise that.

The submersible in question has an air lock system with two doors - one inner, one outer. If you opened the outer door, it would fill the air lock. Close the outer door, and the water is trapped in the air lock. Open the inner door, and the water would flood into the sub.

The other option was to tip or weight the sub so the hatches were facing down. Would that create a moon pool, or would the water still just rush up inside to equalize the pressure?

As long as the "moon pool" stays on the bottom ( movement ceases for the vessel), and no new leaks occur, the compressed air in the vessel would keep the water from encroaching further.....so you could have a full and clear passage to the open ocean via the moon pool....this would mean no need for "locks" if they could get going quickly, before they got too much nitrogen saturation.

Thanks, Dan.

---------- Post added May 30th, 2015 at 02:22 AM ----------

Ugh, this seems obvious to me now, but to make sure...

Even if the sub were upright, with the hatches on the side, opening the hatches at depth would only flood the sub to just above the hatches, right? All the air inside would be compressed to the top of the sub because it's trapped by the pressure of the water? So, they'd still have - at least temporarily - an air pocket to linger at for a minute before leaving?

If so, I can have my flooding and the time I need for them to do last checks before bailing out...

Freedivers don't get the bends because they don't breathe compressed air. It is the compressed air that causes the increase of dissolved nitrogen in your tissues that can then become bubbles when decompressing.

Sperm whales exhibit signs of decompression sickness. They dive for long enough that the nitrogen in their single breath of air becomes absorbed into the whale's body. DCS doesn't depend on compressed gasses. In fact, I think people who free dived for sea sponges back in antiquity got DCS. The repeated free dives to depth throughout the day would precipitate DCS.

I just read about the release of this movie ("Pressure", released this June). The plot seems kinda familiar, it wouldn't by any chance have anything to do with the OP?

I just read about the release of this movie ("Pressure", released this June). The plot seems kinda familiar, it wouldn't by any chance have anything to do with the OP?

Not unless he wrote, casted, shot, edited, scored, etc and released the film in less than a month.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom