Request for accuracy for a film...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might have some problems finding a dvd or br disk, but I think it can be found on youtube

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

You might have some problems finding a dvd or br disk, but I think it can be found on youtube
Full movie does seem to be on youtube; will watch it, if I ever find the time. Thanks.
-Don

And just for even more fun details... The guy doing the stunts (Ie, the diving) in "Dykket" (The dive) is also the guy who was one of the 8 partisipants of the 502m dive, and the same guy seeing the bird in the chamber. He is also the only one of them still diving till this day :)

If a vessel did not have controls to pressurise/flood over correct time, is there a creative way to do it manually?

The supply module has a side air lock for the working subs to dock to when resupplying, but it is generally intended to maintain surface pressure and is sent and recalled by the surface ship.

If they could control the two hatches from inside, would they be able to let water into the lock and then into the module in stages? Or does it have to be a constant flow to equalise inside/outside pressure properly?

They can potentially shift weight to flip the module so that the lock is down and becomes an improvised moon pool - but would opening both hatches in that position pressurise too rapidly?

In my eagerness to flood the thing and get them out, I forgot to take into account that they're in a supply module that was not built to transport or sustain people. But I still have to do it, and try to do it properly over an accurate amount of time.

Hi again guys

Well, it's been a crazy few weeks of researching deep ocean submersibles and CO2 poisoning for the first 3/4 of the story, and I'm now circling back to the free ascent final stage.

I do have a couple of quick questions:

1. With a makeshift dry suit, is it necessary to constantly release and seal in place of an Overpressure Valve on ascent, or could I have plastic tubing going from the inside of the suit to outside at key places (neck, wrists etc.) to continually release pressure on the ascent?

2. Would either of the vessel flooding scenarios in my post above be possible/suitable/plausible?

3. The only, and ironically, compressed gas that the vessel has available is a CO2 fire extinguisher for electrical fires. Will this fill and lift an open bottom blow bag?

I don't want to go too Hollywood and have them try to use the extinguisher for ascent, but filling the bag with CO2 outside the vessel is likely to be easier than filling it with trapped air inside, then trying to drag it out after the flooding.

Thanks again for your help!

Hi again guys

Well, it's been a crazy few weeks of researching deep ocean submersibles and CO2 poisoning for the first 3/4 of the story, and I'm now circling back to the free ascent final stage.

I do have a couple of quick questions:

1. With a makeshift dry suit, is it necessary to constantly release and seal in place of an Overpressure Valve on ascent, or could I have plastic tubing going from the inside of the suit to outside at key places (neck, wrists etc.) to continually release pressure on the ascent?

2. Would either of the vessel flooding scenarios in my post above be possible/suitable/plausible?

3. The only, and ironically, compressed gas that the vessel has available is a CO2 fire extinguisher for electrical fires. Will this fill and lift an open bottom blow bag?

I don't want to go too Hollywood and have them try to use the extinguisher for ascent, but filling the bag with CO2 outside the vessel is likely to be easier than filling it with trapped air inside, then trying to drag it out after the flooding.

Thanks again for your help!
Tubes in the dry suit, would let water in, so it will need to be manual....or, the neck seal slightly loose--tight enough to seal, but with the suit filling up with air, it might be able to just let the air out itself, assuming the diver is head up--with a loose neck seal.

Sure you could fill the lift bag with co2....but then the diver can't try to re-breathe any of it on ascent through the bottom of the lift bag.
If you had a large pipe or heavy bell shaped metal structure in the vessel, that could hold air.....it could remain negatively bouyant when the vessel flooded--if it could be carried to the outside, then it could dump it's air supply into the lift bag--the the diver could rebreathe it if they could keep their head inside the large lift bag as it begins to rocket upward.

Thanks, Dan!

Do you think I can flood the sub by bailing in water gradually, using the air lock as a bucket of sorts (open outside door, let water in, close outside door, open inside door, let water flood in, repeat)? Or does it have to be a constant flow to equalise inside/outside pressure properly?

I need at least 40-60 seconds of flooding in a 200 cubic foot vessel where they are still able to move enough to carry out final checks before taking their last breath.

Thanks again.

Thanks, Dan!

Do you think I can flood the sub by bailing in water gradually, using the air lock as a bucket of sorts (open outside door, let water in, close outside door, open inside door, let water flood in, repeat)? Or does it have to be a constant flow to equalise inside/outside pressure properly?

I need at least 40-60 seconds of flooding in a 200 cubic foot vessel where they are still able to move enough to carry out final checks before taking their last breath.

Thanks again.

You do realize, that with the intense pressure of the depth, there is no need to "bail" the water in....the smallest crack will have water blasting in.....Stopping the water blasting in, once a crack starts, is very hard.....you can't push something up against a crack and stop the flow, unless the two surfaces are a perfect match, and you have a huge force that you can keep exerting on the patch material to to keep it pushed up against the crack hard enough to impede or stop flow.

Oh, I realise that.

The submersible in question has an air lock system with two doors - one inner, one outer. If you opened the outer door, it would fill the air lock. Close the outer door, and the water is trapped in the air lock. Open the inner door, and the water would flood into the sub.

The other option was to tip or weight the sub so the hatches were facing down. Would that create a moon pool, or would the water still just rush up inside to equalize the pressure?

Back
Top Bottom