Request for information not covered in any course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was just teasing. I'm an ex-Microsoftie.

No worry! Here's the youtube link.

It is impossible to ignore the siren and even if you don't remember the signals you will know that something is happening and you will listen for instructions. I think that it is much more effective than banging on the ladder with a weight.

No worry! Here's the youtube link.

It is impossible to ignore the siren and even if you don't remember the signals you will know that something is happening and you will listen for instructions. I think that it is more effective than banging on the ladder with a weight.

I'm amazed that the voice is so clear. Oh, when I open my own dive op, I want to see if I can get Samuel L. Jackson to record the messages!

I'm amazed that the voice is so clear. Oh, when I open my own dive op, I want to see if I can get Samuel L. Jackson to record the messages!

That would be interesting!

That would be interesting!

I sent a note to Reef Divers asking them to confirm that I was correctly describing their alarm system to friends, they just sent this response:

"It's likely better if your friend waits and gets the info first hand from Reef Divers staff on the boats, because they demonstrate the alarms. Just know that we are 100% committed to diver safety and have equipped our boats and trained our staff appropriately. Basically there is one (siren signal) that tells divers to return immediately to the boat. And there is one that advises divers that there is an emergency and that the boat is leaving. Divers are instructed to remain in place until the boat is gone at which time they should ascend, get together as a group, and know that another boat has been called to come pick them up."

Do I read this correctly that they advise me to come to their dive op for more information?

All I'm gonna say is that it better be a real emergency. God forbid that system gets used for anything else. If ops started using that for routine "time to end the first dive" stuff, I'd compelled to swim over and start drilling holes in the bottom of the boat. That's worse than a 2 a.m. car alarm.

To OPs question, there's a thread right now about somebody who got their SPG chomped by a giant clam and was stuck, (which is AWESOME, btw). Moral of the story is "you just never know."

Make all the basic skills muscle memory and easy, then be mentally prepared to adapt. Learn to stay calm, assess, and act. Anything other than catastrophic unexpected OOA, you're gonna have time to deal with it. Just don't make it worse. Visualizing "what ifs" helps a lot.

To OPs question, there's a thread right now about somebody who got their SPG chomped by a giant clam and was stuck, (which is AWESOME, btw).

Real world example justifying the underwater scuba kit removal and replacement skill?

All I'm gonna say is that it better be a real emergency. God forbid that system gets used for anything else. If ops started using that for routine "time to end the first dive" stuff, I'd compelled to swim over and start drilling holes in the bottom of the boat. That's worse than a 2 a.m. car alarm.

To OPs question, there's a thread right now about somebody who got their SPG chomped by a giant clam and was stuck, (which is AWESOME, btw). Moral of the story is "you just never know."

Make all the basic skills muscle memory and easy, then be mentally prepared to adapt. Learn to stay calm, assess, and act. Anything other than catastrophic unexpected OOA, you're gonna have time to deal with it. Just don't make it worse. Visualizing "what ifs" helps a lot.

No, we have dived with Reef Divers ops a number of times, on 3 different islands, and they have never used the system when I've been onboard. I am sure that it is reserved only for emergencies.

Didn't mean to suggest anything about Reef. Assume they wouldn't do it casually. It's the technology that scares me. I'm just waiting for some dumbass to hook it up to their iPod.

No, we have dived with Reef Divers ops a number of times, on 3 different islands, and they have never used the system when I've been onboard. I am sure that it is reserved only for emergencies.

I hope they never employ an aspiring rapper! :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom