Requirement to "remove and replace" scuba unit and weight system for dry suit cert.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bert van den Berg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
The PADI dry suit diver course manual states that you must demonstrate the ability to remove and replace your scuba unit and weight system on the "surface"! My wife has had two successful ocean dives with her new dry suit, loves it and wants to take the PADI dry suit class.

She's 69 years old . Doesn't have a big problem with removing the scuba system and weight belt at the surface but doesn't think she has much chance of putting the BCD back on without help.

I have been diving dry for 18 months and struggle to get the BCD on while on dry land. All those wrinkles and valves seem to get caught up on that BCD straps. Don't have this problem with my wet suit but this is an entirely different animal.

Can anyone tell us why this requirement is so important?

So you can get out of it in an emergency?

I did my OW class in a drysuit. For the remove and replace at the surface at the quarry, I remember I had issues, which resulted in much loud use of profanity, to everyone's amusement.

So you can get out of it in an emergency?

What sort of emergency? Do you detach the inflation hose?

Why does she want to take the class? I guess a better question might be, "why does she want the card"? I've been diving drysuit for 20 years, I found a drysuit specialty instructor and learned everything I wanted/needed to know, but I have no card. I always found that equipment cards are a little silly, I don't need a card to take a picture, use a scooter, or wear a drysuit. Skills are needed for that, but no one will ever ask you to see your drysuit card.

The PADI dry suit diver course manual states that you must demonstrate the ability to remove and replace your scuba unit and weight system on the "surface"! My wife has had two successful ocean dives with her new dry suit, loves it and wants to take the PADI dry suit class.

Can anyone tell us why this requirement is so important?
I can. When diving from a RHIB you have to be able to get out of your BCD or you won't get into the boat. And yes, it is a :rant: skill to master. I 'practiced' during a boat trip in the Red Sea with current, waves and all wearing drysuit with wing/BP. Got quite interesting I must say :) Other appliances are during rescue. It can be usefull or even neccesary to ditch your gear in an emergency.

Donning your gear in water is something different. I don't know how that could be usefull?

I guess a better question might be, "why does she want the card"?
I have to say I agree with this. I never got training to dive a dry suit, and most people would never know.

Now everyone knows....
and knowing's half the battle! :D :D :D

My first dry suit dive was during my Intro to Cave class at Peacock Springs. I saw my instructor do the squat to remove the excess air, so I did the squat to remove the excess air. I asked him how he set his shoulder dump and did the same. He showed me how he raised his arm to get the shoulder dump to let it all out and that was cool. At the end of the class, I asked him how I did with the drysuit. His reaction was "That was your first time?" As in everything diving: emulate a great diver. Ask questions. Be patient! Go slow! No, slower than that. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast enough. Add little bits of air. Be patient and go slow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom