Requirement to "remove and replace" scuba unit and weight system for dry suit cert.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clearly there are cases when you have to take it off, but putting it back on?

Sounds like a test of comfort in the water rather than a practical application.
I've wondered that. I suppose there's a reason somewhere. Off/back on at depth makes sense since you could have an equipment problem or some entanglement. On the surface--well, you're already on the surface so you have air. If you take it off you can still sit on it and float (unless a big hole in the BC). If you have equipment failure or entanglement on the surface you'd just let it sink or hold on to it if it floats. Then wait for help. If it sinks you would be buoyant with air in a drysuit and weights dropped, or in a thick wetsuit, weights dropped. Or, you tread water or swim 200 meters to shore (that's why they have those tests, no......).
But in all seriousness, you're probably right in that putting it back on at the surface is a test of comfort in the water--or at least a familiarity with equipment thing.

I've wondered that. I suppose there's a reason somewhere. Off/back on at depth makes sense since you could have an equipment problem or some entanglement. On the surface--well, you're already on the surface so you have air. If you take it off you can still sit on it and float (unless a big hole in the BC). If you have equipment failure or entanglement on the surface you'd just let it sink or hold on to it if it floats. Then wait for help. If it sinks you would be buoyant with air in a drysuit and weights dropped, or in a thick wetsuit, weights dropped. Or, you tread water or swim 200 meters to shore (that's why they have those tests, no......).
But in all seriousness, you're probably right in that putting it back on at the surface is a test of comfort in the water--or at least a familiarity with equipment thing.
Jeez, Tom, read the previous posts! People in small boats put their rig in the water, go in after it, and put it on at the surface.

I understand the question. Doffing/donning the WETSUIT was the only skill I had trouble with. In fact it held up my DM cert. I have also seen quite a few wetsuited OW students struggle on the surface in waves. I had problems with this in OW, as well as at depth. I can't speak for drysuits, but BCDs vary a lot. My personal old Phantom has tiny straps hard to find. When using shop BCDs my donning/doffing improved some.
I guess it also depends on what kind of diving you do. If you always dive in benign conditions with a competent buddy and not from a small boat, I would guess the skill is less important.
tursiops, This is my post from way back.--Notice "not from a small boat". I would guess if you could put it back on at depth, those diving from a small boat could probably figure out how the heck to put it on after tossing it in at the surface.

I was just responding to what Ken Gordon said above. I thought, for most divers, what he said made sense. OW courses don't cover every type of situation such as small boats--or drift diving--and in most places I've been, boat diving itself. Such things as going down an anchor line, how to not lose fins when exiting onto a boat ladder, etc. are also not taught in OW--I would think many more divers do those things than dive from small boats (which I've done twice in almost 700 dives).

My guess is when putting it back on was first included in OW course, they probably weren't thinking about small boat diving--but just as a comfort skill, as Ken suggested. But admit I don't know. I have yet to figure out as well what possible circumstance could necessitate the reg/snorkel exchange skill (if it's still done). Seems like it's just a way to improve airway control.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom