Revisiting an old topic: Welding O2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just called my gas supplier (Roberts Oxygen) two weeks ago to gat a lease on two bottles of therapy grade 02. The sales guy asked me for what? I responded do I have to tell you? He said yes. I told him to blend scuba gas. He replied great!!, can I interest you in a lease on the biggest cascade that you can afford?
Maybe the economy is motivating them to sell, not be dicks.
obtw that line about building a space capsule was priceless!
Eric

Re: space capsule, we can tell them the He is for making it light enough to get into space so we avoid the propulsion system maybe we can get both He and O2 without a hassle.

Thanks, I learned something new today. I have been using welding gas for several years for mixing Nitrox. I was told by my supplier that it is basically the same as medical grade and that it should not be a problem so I have been using it, but I feel a little better about it after reading your post.

Thanks Gilldiver, I learned something new today. I have been using welding gas for several years for mixing Nitrox. I was told by my supplier that it is basically the same as medical grade and that it should not be a problem so I have been using it, but I feel a little better about it after reading your post.

Just remember:
1) If you sell or trade the gas that you mix
2) Use any gas that does not have a quality reconized as being appropriate by the industry, even if the only dif is a piece of paper
and
3) There is a problem with the dive, any problem

Then

You will be TOAST in a court of law.

Personal use is diffrent.

I think another thing to remember is that your gas is only as clean as your last air fill. If your mixing your own gas and do diligent testing you can be fairly certain your getting a clean mix. But you can easly blow a seal in a filter and then all bets are off.

And I’m pretty certain the air coming out of my filtration system is no where near as clean as welding o2.

Back
Top Bottom