Reworking my setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rich52

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everybody

I'am thinking of reconfiguring my reg setup to go with the 40 inch hose on my primary looped under my arm with the right angle at the second stage. Has anyone gone with this setup and if so,how do you like it. It seems to offer a lot of advantages as far as cutting drag and being safer. I already have my second on a necklace but I might end up putting that on a shorter hose also having that come around the back of my neck.

Thanks

I keep my secondary on a short hose, over my shoulder, to a bungee around my neck. I like it far better than tucking it under my arm; it's quicker/easier to deploy.

I have my primary on a 40 with a 90 a Sea Cure mouthpiece, I love it. No tug, no pull I hardly notice it anymore. Check out my avitar pic.

Have you considered going with a 5 foot hose without the elbow? It wraps nice and close to the body and is still easy to deploy for air sharing.

I'd be curious to hear what someone who uses the 40" hose and elbow has to say about deploying the hose for air share (since you use a bungied second and will be donating your primary)

Sent from my Zeagle N2ition

i'll be using this setup as soon as my equipment reaches, will post my experiences.
40" Under the arm and short bungied backup

I'd be curious to hear what someone who uses the 40" hose and elbow has to say about deploying the hose for air share (since you use a bungied second and will be donating your primary)

I'm not sure i understand the concern, should there be an issue with donating a 40" primary?

Hello everybody

I'am thinking of reconfiguring my reg setup to go with the 40 inch hose on my primary looped under my arm with the right angle at the second stage. Has anyone gone with this setup and if so,how do you like it. It seems to offer a lot of advantages as far as cutting drag and being safer. I already have my second on a necklace but I might end up putting that on a shorter hose also having that come around the back of my neck.

Thanks

I use a 22" bungeed, necklace, back up and 40" primary routed under my arm using a 90 degree adaptor. Have been diving this set up for some years and like it. I tried a 5' primary but didn't like it but will try it again this season.

---------- Post added June 11th, 2013 at 11:19 PM ----------

Hello everybody

Thanks

im not sure i understand your reasoning behind this?

---------- Post added June 11th, 2013 at 11:43 PM ----------

Have you considered going with a 5 foot hose without the elbow? It wraps nice and close to the body and is still easy to deploy for air sharing.

Sorry, not entirely sure I understand your question, it's the same as using a 5' primary with bungeed backup except you don't have to duck your head and of course the hose is shorter. I hand off my primary, 40", and I use my bungeed, 22", back up. Added bonus due to the 90 adaptor the reg is oriented the right way without pulling the hose on an odd angle i.e it swivels, horizontally, so can be placed in receiving divers mouth without any contortion, does that make sense? I practice it regularly and have no problem with it. Granted a longer hose, 5' or 7', gives you more room to play hence giving a 5' another try this season. For me the 5' just seemed too short.

(Single tank Rec OW diver)

Last edited:
When I donate with my 5 foot, I have a decent length for the initial donation, before fully deploying the portion of hose that goes under my arm and back up to the 1st stage. (Since the hose stays under my arm on the initial deployment)

When I try to visualize the 40" hose going under the arm and straight up to the second stage, it seems to me that it would be awkward to donate that reg since it's a shorter length to work with on the initial donation before moving the hose from under/around your arm.

Maybe it's splitting hairs. I haven't dove with a 40" hose under the arm so am curious if this would a real issue/annoyance in practice or not. I'm sure it wouldn't instantly kill both divers either way :wink:

It's not an issue in practice, your arm does not get in the way it's one fluid movement. Hard for me to explain sorry. As you take the reg out of your mouth and hand off the hose automatically extends without any additional movement, not sure I'm making any sense, but in a answer to your question it works fine.

---------- Post added June 12th, 2013 at 12:44 AM ----------

At 40" it's a similar length to most standard octo set ups.

Well my order for the parts for this setup gets here today... I'll let you guys know how it works for me. If you notice Dive Rite is now selling this setup.. they call it their advanced OW setup

2369.jpg
(Photo from DiveRite's website)

I don't know if I like that. It seems like by routing the hose of the regulator one will be donating under their arm, they're adding an extra step to the donation process.

I used to route my octo under my arm, and I actually lost it in water with a strong surge during a drill once. My hand slipped and let go of the regulator, and the current swept it under my arm, around my back and behind the tank.

I could see the potential for that to happen here as well, but with the regulator that's supposed to be donated. Having to recover a reg on top of an out-of-gas situation seems like significant added risk vs using a slightly longer (5ft) hose and routing it around one's neck. Just my two cents. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom