Right or left hand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OHIO DIVERS

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just received a Light Monkey canister light for Christmas. I need a little help with the configuration of the canister light system. I believe the canister will go on the belt of the bcd on my right hip. But which hand will hold the light head?

It's up to you. If you ever intend to move on to scootering, holding it in the left hand leaves your right hand free to hold the scooter. In addition, if you are using a long hose configuration, holding the light in the left hand means that, if you ever have to donate, you won't blind your buddy. But if neither of those considerations pertains, hold the light in the hand you want to hold it in.

I'd hold in the left even more for a traditional air share otherwise you'll have to let go of (and dangle) the lighthead to do the roman handshake.

I'm just starting to really scooter in a technical configuration, preparing for DPV Cave. Pardon my ignorance please, but with the light in the left hand (assuming the canister is still on the right hip), doesn't that create a (at least partial) blockage of the long hose for emergency deployment? or is the light cord threaded under the long hose? Just curious to see how those who currently dive that way, handle it. Thanks.

Light cord over the long hose requires a step in the air-share procedure where the light is re-routed. GUE chose this because light cord UNDER the long hose means that you trap the long hose during gas switches, stage drops and pickups, etc., which are actually the times someone is most likely to need donation. Most OOG scenarios are confusion or temporary malfunction, rather than truly being OOG, and GUE chose to optimize for that. UTD routes the cord under the long hose, which means each time you do a temporary clip-off of the light, you have to remember to pass it under the long hose so you don't trap it.

I carry my light in my left hand, because my right is full of camera...
I also wear a headlight, so if I need both hands I can turn off the primary light and still have light for whatever I'm looking at.

Thanks guys for the feedback.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom