Ring bungees

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnnyblackau

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey guys I'm about to do my tdi sidemount course. I purchased the nomad xt because I like the option to be able to adapt it to side twin and single tanks. However, I was given the ring bungees with it and to be honest they say their quicker and easier than standard bungees. After watching countless YouTube vids and putting my thoughts into it, how can having a snap clip be faster than pulling some bungee cord over the valve set? Thoughts??

I haven't had the chance to dive sidemount yet in my nomad and in eagerly eagerly awaiting my course so I can get taught the right way first time. How is the top of the cylinder attached with the standard bungee system does it still have the clip or is it only held in by the bungee??

Depending on the tanks used, there can be difficulties attaining really good cylinder trim.

Set-up of the snaps/chokers on tanks takes much longer. If doing this regularly with rentals, the standard bungee might appear a little more painless.

With standard bungees, the bungee alone secures the top of the tanks. It can be routed around the handle, the cylinder neck, or both.

I am relatively new to side mount, but I agree with DevonDiver. I dive in the great lakes, in a drysuit, with dry gloves.
The snaps & chokers are difficult to work with with dry gloves.
I use a single length bungie, with over size bolt snap. They're clipped to my rear waist D's while getting rigged (before tanks are added).

Mike D

Just a thought:
put your valves facing away from you.
Using a choker clip the tank on your lower d ring.
put your o ring of the ring bungee over your valve.

this will eliminate any rolling effect of a bungee cord and hold your tanks close to your arm pit.

this is extremely easy but go to the dive rite video.

Key....do not have your 1st stage facing you.

Ive been playing around with ring bungees a bit lately.....i built my own as dive rites are a bit pricey. When i did the tank boltsnap i used a rather large one which makes it fairly easy to use with drygloves.

With the original bungees, yes its just the bungee that holds it in, i personally like to use a lanyard to attach the tanks to d-rings so that the bungees arent taking all the weight out of the water, or if a bungee breaks in the water.

If you are using the old school bungee method, add a loop of bungee/cord around the neck of the cylinder, then use a double ender to attach to the shoulder D ring, when in the water, sort out the bungee and take the d ring off, simple.

Back
Top Bottom