Roatan dive sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

silvernotch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey everyone :) I'm heading to FI in April and will be diving with CajunDiva (yay!). What are the average depths of the dive sites? I've done a lot of research and it seems like a lot of the sites are fairly deep. I'm a relatively new diver (only 14 or so dives) and the deepest I've ever gone is 83ft. The idea of diving regularly around that depth makes me a little nervous and I guess it's just due to my inexperience. Once I get it out of my system I'm sure I'll be fine though. Plus, the only ocean diving I've done is in Montserrat and everything was fairly shallow - 30/40ft or so. OH and I do know that most of the good stuff is in shallower water :cool2:

and I know that my DivingDenmotherDiva will take good care of me :D

edit: also, are there any dive sites that I should be hestitant about as a new diver?

Last edited:
OH and I do know that most of the good stuff is in shallower water

Then why bother to go deep?

Diving to 83 feet on the South shore of Roatan is a waste of your Nitrogen loading.

The best stuff is shallow, very shallow. The walls in this area are vertical and most break (begin) anywhere at 5' to 30 deep, then straight down to 90+ sand shelf.

No one is insisting that you go over the edge at 35', and you don't have to follow every "expert" down past 65'. You can find the best stuff right at the top of the walls in most cases.

There are two dives: Mary's Place and Calvin's Crack... where you will likely hit 85 feet for a moment.

Do yourself a grand favor- this localized South side zone is unique in the Caribbean. Besides having shallow vertical walls, note the exposure to the track of the Sun- it bathes the reef due to its position all the day long.

Measuring your progression in diving has absolutely nothing to do with what depth you have made it to. Unfortunately it is an easily discernible quantifier if you have nothing else to go on. Find the DM and ask them to point out the cool stuff. If they are going below 55 feet in this area, they do not have a clue what they are doing. If they do, ghost above them, watch the wall yourself. Stay shallow, go very slowly, always use a flashlight, consider buying a magnifying glass. This is the place.

Like it has been said - no need to go "deep" ever if you choose not to. The dive master won't insist that you shadow them. It is very common to have divers in a group all do a different profile. For instance, it's not uncommon to have divers on the boat that didn't make the first or second dive and choose to go a little deeper on a dive then the rest as everyone may have a dive or two already in that day. Mary's place was mentioned above, and we had divers that didn't feel comfortable doing that swim through so they followed over the top and met us on the other side. As I recall that top part of that dive (at the wall) is at about 35'. No worries, dive with what you feel comfortable with and have fun.

Mary's place was mentioned above, and we had divers that didn't feel comfortable doing that swim through so they followed over the top and met us on the other side. As I recall that top part of that dive (at the wall) is at about 35'. No worries, dive with what you feel comfortable with and have fun.

Well said.

The top of the reef is indeed 35fsw, but the "swim thru arch" isn't the deepest part of the dive... that occurs at the 90° hard left turn, halfway through~ I think it's 85fsw.

For those who do not wish to go through the arch, which is very short but extremely constrictive, you can ascend and pass over it.

Just to the right of the exit, where the group will be led, is another chasm that is shallower and quite inviting. It dumps you out and you can rejoin the main tour. Just check with the DM before varying from the plan.

Yes, 'Diva will take great care of you :D Keep in mind that we will also be initiating six new divers in our family this trip along with you...it's time for the next generation of Cajuns to join the fun! You will ALL be newbies, and you will ALL be taken care of very well. We (CajuncruDiver & I) will adjust our dive profiles and go wherever our group is comfortable going. I can almost guarantee you that by day 2 you'll be so blown away you'll settle right in and start hunting for all the cool critters yourself :)

Some of my most interesting dives on the Southside have been in less than 20'. The southside is a very unique place to dive.

You will have new respect for the word "Macro" if you spend your time wisely.

On another note, One evening I visited with two guys that had come from a short deep dive near FI and CC. I asked what they had seen, the answer " not much sand and blue". I didnt have the heart to tell them I had just spent 1.5 hours in the coral heads and had seen half a dozen sea horses, a Frog fish and lots of other larger critters.

Thanks for all the info everyone :) I'm wondering if I'm confusing my nervousness with excitedness :) Can't wait!

Thanks for all the info everyone :) I'm wondering if I'm confusing my nervousness with excitedness :) Can't wait!

I can't wait to witness your enthusiasm after your first giant stride entry when you open your eyes and encounter the underwater wonderland that is Roatan :D

I only hope that you will use that enthusiasm to share your experiences with your new buddies on ScubaBoard :wink:

I can't wait to witness your enthusiasm after your first giant stride entry when you open your eyes and encounter the underwater wonderland that is Roatan :D

I only hope that you will use that enthusiasm to share your experiences with your new buddies on ScubaBoard :wink:

oh you know I will :) people back here in Jersey will probably get sick of hearing me talk about Roatan haha. Hell one of my coworkers even knows how many days until my trip :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom