Roatan, Honduras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee,
Thanks so much for your info. Doesn't sound to bad....except for the damp sheets *ugh*

~lildiver

Hi lildiver,

Bay Islands Beach Resort generally comes in last or near last in the annual Reader's Ratings of Roatan dive resorts that appear in "Rodale's Scuba Diving" magazine, although it does seem to be gradually improving. It also has taken lots of hits in the "Undercurrent" annual "Travelin' Diver's Chap Book."

As you seem to have no choice in resort selection, however, your question seems an academic one. There is nothing terribly wrong with the resort, and if you are flexible I suspect you'll enjoy yourself. Their boat crews get very high ratings.

The following is a piece I wrote for my "Ask RSD" column in "Rodale's Scuba Diving." It may be of use as regards the insect issue on Roatan:

"Sand fleas or 'no see ums' can be a bother. There is great individual variability in both allergic reaction to bites and in how attractive one is to insects. If you are high on both indexes, your dive vacation can be a nightmare.

The bother of insects can be substantially reduced by these precautions: (1) Wear long sleeves and pants, avoiding bright colors, especially at dawn and dusk. Protective clothing such as the "Buzz Off" brand can be useful. As an extra precaution, you may treat clothing with permethrin; (2) Try to stay indoors at dawn and dusk when many flying insects are most active. When making reservations, make sure the resort has screened windows; (3) Wear insect repellent. Many report that Skintastic and Skin So Soft are effective against sand fleas, although the best protection against these and other insects is full strength DEET. Look for it at military surplus outlets and hunting and fishing supply stores; (4) Avoid scented toiletries and perfumes; (5) Upon arrival, treat your room with a bug bomb such as Shelltox or Fish. You can touch up with spray after that as needed.

Precautions such as these can go a long way toward insuring your comfort, although they of course don't guarantee that you will not get bitten. It is therefore wise to take along whatever medications which you have found safe & helpful in treating bites, such as Calamine lotion/cream, hydrocortisone lotion/cream or a nonsedating oral antihistamine.

Remember that if you don't get substantial resolution from self treatment, have a severe allergic reaction, or the eruptions seem to get progresively worse or infected, you should seek medical attention in a timely manner. (Fortunately, AKR has a pleasant & competent physician in residence.)

Different things seem to work for different people, but this should get you prepared to fend off those little pests."

Have a great trip.

DocVikingo

Doc Vikingo,
Thanks so much for your reply...and info on how to prepare for the "noseeums". I'm sure I'll have a great time in Roatan diving. Since I have been unable to find very much info on the Bay Islands Beach Resort I've been wondering if it were going to an uncomfortable place to stay. I'm wondering the reasons it consistently gets poor reviews. Is it the service, the food, the staff, lack of comfort as in lumpy mattresses or no a/c, or is the whole resort generally just run down? It's true, I've already paid my money and have my plane ticket, but I'd still like to know what I'm going to be "walking into". Thanks again.

~lildiver

Lildiver, a couple which I am friends with stayed at Bay Islands Beach Resort during their honeymoon a few years back. What I do recall is that they spoke favorably of the place but I don't recall specifics. I will ask them again and see what they say.

Hi lildiver,

Complaints seem to focus on old/poorly maintained/not well set up dive boats, lack of A/C in rooms/rooms without windows/poorly maintained rooms (Those on lower floor of main house seem the worst. Get a room by the water.), variable quality of food, insects & pets in the dining room, run down aspects of the resort and miscommunications with office staff.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

Hi DocV
Thank you for elaborating on the Bay Islands Beach Resort. I'm thinking I should have researched this resort before signing up for this dive trip. I'm going there for the diving first & foremost. But I would hope that the resort would be comfortable with good food so that the trip would be an all around good experience. Now I'm having some serious concerns.

~lildiver

Hi lildiver,

I wouldn't worry. As I said earlier, I suspect you'll enjoy yourself. Some folks are crazy about the place.

The main point is, yes, research a resort before putting your money down. There unarguably are nicer places on Roatan for about the same price.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

DocV
Hopefully it will be a good dive vacation anyway and I have learned a lesson here. Thanks for all your input.

~lildiver

No, I have not been there, but here's a coincidence...our dive club just received a video and promotional materials from them in the mail yesterday, and it is on my coffee table at home right now. I will look it over when I get home, but from from what I saw of the brochures, it looks nice (don't they all, though?)

Back
Top Bottom