Roatan must dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

She looks pretty good to me!

ROA-Yacht2-X2.jpg

I am not completely thrilled with the itinerary, but I would be interested in having the opportunity to dive Utila. Our friends at Aqua Adventures take us to dive Coco Sea Mount and Cayos Cochinos, but we haven't been over to Utila yet.

I would highly recommend that the Roatan Aggressor begin alternating itineraries. One week they could go west and jump over to Utila/Cayos Cochinos and the following week they could move over to the east end of Roatan and catch Morat Wall and Ganaja. Then divers might be interested in a 2-week liveaboard experience or others can pick and choose where they would like to dive.

There's so much variety around the Bay Islands that it's a shame to just visit the same spots that have been done over and over.

Last edited:
What is the diving at Sea Mount ....?

If you are referring to Cordelia Banks and the Pinnacles in the area SW off of Coxen Hole? I wouldn't look forward to a liveaboard accessing that... Unless they (you) paid huge "fees" to the government. Mooring a ship would be beyond problematic and there are conservation restrictions in place- whatever that means on Roatan.

As to the Cays, maybe I'm the wrong guy to ask or speak. I find joy in diving many of the same sites again and again, I don't need new u/w terrain and architecture to have a good time. In my trips to CC, I've never seen any new critters that aren't to be seen off of Roatan. I'm looking for critters, not canyons.

In answer to your question: it's salty, wet, and has the same animals. You get to mark it in your log book.

At the Cays, if they motor you ashore by RIB, they didn't learn from their predecessors failures. Any Roatan liveaboard guests that saw a shore based dive resort and pieced it all together? They just booked into that resort next time around for 1/3 the price. They quit that "shore leave" practice on Roatan.

The 60 mile Cayos round trip and what it costs the ship (you)? Passengers will gladly (?) pay it for sure, because it's the "siizzle of the steak". Will a monohull's Captain make the rough crossing once in any given week, and by the confines of cruise scheduling alone, it will be confined to (at earliest) a Monday night to (at latest a) Wednesday morning return, that narrows the window of opportunity down considerably. No real overnight safe harborage there. Every Captain I've ridden with prefers a daylight crossing. Prior liveaboard divers will understand what that means- it's going to take 2.5 hours minimum.

Ahh, maybe next trip.

This will be a great dive "offering". At some future time though, look back on this thread. All I'm saying is that the promise and expectation here will fade due to the realities of local operational hurdles. In numerical order of general understanding here by most casual visitors: 1) High airline connection costs forcing the total package price well beyond any Caribbean liveaboard; 2) Costs of large amounts of diesel fuel to make that enticing steam back and forth to Utila and the Cayos, and 3) The realities of local sea conditions, and 4) The vagaries of Honduran supply-line parts/food dependability and 5) governmental $hakedowns (errrr fees).

I would suggest that you go. I would also counsel against being involved in financing the operation. So... Go, have fun... Sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
While I thoroughly enjoy seeing all the things that swim and crawl around, I also enjoy beautiful topography, color and shapes in the reef structures. I very much like getting down and going slow to find the macro but I also like to mix up my diving and see the big and broad beauty. My perfect trip has a mixture of both. Not always possible, but it's my favorite. We all have our own styles.

Hey Doc. Thanks for the response.

I am not necessarily excited about the Honduras liveaboard, just curious if it will be a worthwhile Caribbean option. Been diving the Caribbean for a while and although I enjoy the diving, it is basically for travel convenience.

Been diving the Caribbean for a while and although I enjoy the diving, it is basically for travel convenience.

Here too. Some day when I retire I hope to be able to travel to other destinations that require longer travel time.

Some day when I retire I hope to be able to travel to other destinations that require longer travel time.

Let me know when you're ready :) We try to book group trips to the South Pacific/Indo Pacific when we can. In my mind that's where the finest diving in the world can be found. Fiji was fabulous in October! I'm considering a group trip to Atlantis Resort in the Philippines...

Many moons ago I did the BIA. I really liked the Sea Mounts. I would not do that trip again via LOB based, in part, on Doc's points regarding costs and the decision to stay at CoCo View for any future Roatan trips. Also agree with CajunDiva about South Pacific/Indo Pacific. Headed back to the Philippines with our group next April. BrodyDog, I decided not to wait until retirement due to the "never count on the future" belief.

Rob

BrodyDog, I decided not to wait until retirement due to the "never count on the future" belief.

Rob

Ah, well played Rob. You've done a good job of inserting a very valid point into my mind. With CajunDiva's help maybe I'll just combine some vacation time and get my rear over there next year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom