Roatan vs Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CryptKeeper

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Is there really a huge difference? I do wanna see some whale sharks so I may head over to Utila if I stay in Roatan for a day or two to test my luck. This is a last minute trip and most places in Roatan are sold out. There’s nothing left in west end I don’t believe but found a decent deal at Caribe Tesoro if anyone’s been there. Any recommendations on dive shops there? I haven’t settled on Roatan yet but I have read they have the better white sand beaches which I do value bc I like to spend time by the pool and beach when not diving. I also enjoy going to different restaurants so hoping this hotel is close to many places. Not sure how far west bay beach is from west end. But my main question is if I stayed in utila am I gonna miss out on much diving or beaches? It is much cheaper to get certified AOW as I’m only OW and want to continue on with training. Any advice would be great thanks in advance!

Oh also I read some bad reviews on the shark dive they offer on Roatan Wondering if anyone experienced that too. Read about dirty air and dangerous practices. Not sure how true they are. I do know they say you can’t use a go pro bc it’ll affect the sharks and could cause them to attack 😂😂 just so you have to buy their dvd they make. That right there angers me haha

Caribe Tesoro is at the north end of West Bay beach. West Bay Beach is 1 kilometer long and is rather nice with resorts lining pretty much the entire length of it. It is a short water taxi ride from West Bay to West End. Personally, my wife and I like Half Moon Bay in West End better than West Bay Beach. While Half Moon Bay is smaller, it is very nice, has many shops and restaurants and other places to eat (Ginger's at the southern end is fantastic), and you can't throw a rock with hitting a dive shop. We dove last year with Coconut Tree Divers, located at the traffic circle in West End, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

We've never been to Utila so I can't comment on that island, but I understand it is rather nice but don't know about the beaches. I'm not sure I read your post correctly, but if you are planning on staying on either island and want to go to the other, you will most likely have to plan an overnight stay on the island you visit. If you stay on Roatan and go to Utila, the ferry leaves Roatan at 2:00 PM. Leaving from Utila to Roatan is at 11:20 AM. Even if you went from Utila to Roatan for a same day visit, you'd only have a little over 2½ hours in Roatan (the ferry ride between the 2 islands is 1 hour.) Here's the ferry schedule.

Good luck with your planning.

Difference in topside, or underwater? Topside, yes, quite a difference. Underwater, not as much. Debatable
Well was wondering about the resort I’m staying at caribe Tesoro and I’ve contacted some places all saying there’s no whale sharks on Utila so I’ll be staying in Roatan looking for a good dive shop with good deals on certifications for AOW/nitrox along with extra dives. This will be my first trip there.

I like to tell people that Utila is "a tale of two islands":-

1/ Utila Town - tons of dive shops, bars and restaurants. Lively nightlife. Not terribly attractive, can get noisy (music at night) and is small but busy. Lots of inexpensive places to stay. Only two small beaches, one that requires an entrance fee/food drink purchase. Visitors are a combination of older divers/dive clubs from North America and young international backpackers. My favorite hotels are The Lighthouse and Manurii Boutique hotel. This is where 95% of visitors stay.

2/ Utila South Shore - only served by two dive companies. Only two beach bar/restaurants. Boat access only (no road to Utila Town), transport by water taxi. Beautiful, miles of empty beaches with the reef just a few feet from shore, running parallel to the beach for 4 miles. No hotels, only beach houses for rent. Peaceful and private, not good if you want to be around other tourists and nightlife. This is where the 5% of visitors "in the know" stay. My favorite rentals are the Coral House and The Pineapple House on Treasure Beach and the private island of Sandy Cay.

I have been on Utila on and off for 17 years, I spent my first trip in town but have never stayed there again. I spend a month at a time on the south shore and rarely go to town more than once a week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom