Roatan...Was I expecting too much?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

getwet2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
First let me say that I'm not bashing Roatan I'm just stating my observations and asking for your opinions and experiences.

I just got back from a week at Fantasy Island Beach Resort, first time there, had a great time but I'm a little disapointed.

I had read and heard so much about how GREAT the diving is in Roatan but .............I've got to say that other then the corals the marine life was not even close to what I was expecting nor was the visibility. Is it all about the corals? Was I just expecting too much or was it just an off week or was it typical for Roatan? Or am I just the first one to admit my disapointment?

There were the usual suspects of marine life but nothing so OUTSTANDING that I could see that would cause all the hoopla about Roatan. I saw 2 pufferfish the whole week, 2 barracuda and one of those was in a video, so I don't know if that actually counts, not one ray but we did see a large green moray out swimming around some corals on one dive, a couple of seahorses and some squid.

When I was in San Andres in February '05, we saw Dolphins on 2 of our dives, stingrays pretty much every dive, pufferfish and I mean LARGE ones every time you looked around, lots of barracuda, scorpionfish, eaglerays while we were snorkelling and even a nurse shark while snorkelling. The visibility was also awesome everyday and there were sites where the corals were just as nice.

We dove on the east side of Roatan all week so I don't know what the other side is like. Is it better or about the same? We most definitely will go back because we did have a great time but I won't be expecting so much next time and will be trying the sites on the west side too.

I concur. We went 2 years ago.....same thoughts. Not worth a return trip. Tho I agree, FIBR is a first rate dive op.

This is pretty much the story we got from a friend that went, Carribean average or less. So despite all the hype we haven't exactly rushed to get there.

We dove there last January while on a cruise. Can't say that I was all that impressed.

The dive was average for the caribbean. But the dive operator was horrible. They had bad equipment (thankfully I brought my own), gave what I consider a sub-par briefing. And the DM had to double check his calculations using MY dive computer. Because he forgot to check his watch prior to desending.

Needless too say, we won't be going back there anytime soon. And if we do, we won't use the same dive operator.

I had done all my diving in SE Asia before coming to Belize. I had kind of the same feeling. Comparatively, the diversity in marine life here isn't near as great. Nor is there the color. But I have seen more reef sharks, rays and bigger fish here.

Parrothead_Diver:
We dove there last January while on a cruise. Can't say that I was all that impressed.

The dive was average for the caribbean. But the dive operator was horrible. They had bad equipment (thankfully I brought my own), gave what I consider a sub-par briefing. And the DM had to double check his calculations using MY dive computer. Because he forgot to check his watch prior to desending.

Needless too say, we won't be going back there anytime soon. And if we do, we won't use the same dive operator.

We are going to Roatan the first week of May. Would you mind telling me who you dove with so I don't make the same mistake? Sure wish this thread had been posted before we booked our trip......We may have decided on a different local. Well we will make the best of it anyway, I am sure there will be somthing that interests us. Just getting wet after a long snowy winter will be reward enough. Sorry you were disappointed.

Happy Diving!!!!!!

Hooked-Again:
We are going to Roatan the first week of May. Would you mind telling me who you dove with so I don't make the same mistake? Sure wish this thread had been posted before we booked our trip......We may have decided on a different local. Well we will make the best of it anyway, I am sure there will be somthing that interests us. Just getting wet after a long snowy winter will be reward enough. Sorry you were disappointed.

Happy Diving!!!!!!

I thought Roatan was wonderful. I will return. Simply lovely. I think that sometimes ya get lucky and see great stuff and sometimes ya don't. Same with visibility. I also think that after one has been diving for a few years the expectation grows and can't really be matched unless you see a whale shark or something out of the ordinary. How many yellow tail snappers can really get you excited after a few dives? I went to Cozumel with a friend last year who had the same comments about it too. I also politely disagreed with this friend. :wink: Diving in the Carribean is like diving in a large, safe fish bowl. It's not Africa. It's not SE Asia. It's NOT NYC, thank God! Nonetheless, you will have fun in Roatan!

Wow, I would never have thought this of Roatan. I have been there numerous times and have not been disappointed, except for a two week trip when it rained every day. Even then, it did not cause us to miss any dives.

It probably depends upon when you were there, but I have been just about any time of the year and always had good dives. Sometimes less fish than others, but always good. The West end (AKR, Inn of the Last Resort) does have more sealife and bigger than the South side (FIBR or Cocoview) as it has been a marine preserve for a longer time.

I will be going there again in late April to try the East end (Paya Bay) as it does not get many visitors and should be almost pristine. This will be after a week at Utila (Deep Blue Resort) to see the Whale Sharks.

Sorry you did not have as good a trip as it could have been.

DSDO

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom