Roatan...Was I expecting too much?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1)FIBR well that's a big resort!!! u want great diving. Go to the small hotels in west end and west bay.

2)CCV well i love their installations but last year 2 guys died cause of air toxication so ccv is out of the list.

3)maybe is just my xp but i have seen some grupper that could swallow me .

4)Coral u name the color and i can tell where in roatan u can see it.. hey let's go crazy and invent a color i'm sure i can find one and name it after u.

WORD of advise always look for the small well organized op's

Thanks for all your points of view and experiences.

I was talking to some friends of mine from Brazil this weekend and they just returned from Roatan but they stayed at AKR and loved it. They can't wait to go back. The next time I go I will be staying somewhere other than FIBR, possibly AKR and will most definetly be diving the west side of the Island.

Who was the dive operator (that I need to avoid)?

HowDidIGetIntoThis?:
Who was the dive operator (that I need to avoid)?

It was that one, over there. :15: See, it wasn't a dive operator so much as it was the entire island.

Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together - mass hysteria.

getwet2:
First let me say that I'm not bashing Roatan I'm just stating my observations and asking for your opinions and experiences.

I just got back from a week at Fantasy Island Beach Resort, first time there, had a great time but I'm a little disapointed.

I had read and heard so much about how GREAT the diving is in Roatan but .............I've got to say that other then the corals the marine life was not even close to what I was expecting nor was the visibility. Is it all about the corals? Was I just expecting too much or was it just an off week or was it typical for Roatan? Or am I just the first one to admit my disapointment?

There were the usual suspects of marine life but nothing so OUTSTANDING that I could see that would cause all the hoopla about Roatan. I saw 2 pufferfish the whole week, 2 barracuda and one of those was in a video, so I don't know if that actually counts, not one ray but we did see a large green moray out swimming around some corals on one dive, a couple of seahorses and some squid.

When I was in San Andres in February '05, we saw Dolphins on 2 of our dives, stingrays pretty much every dive, pufferfish and I mean LARGE ones every time you looked around, lots of barracuda, scorpionfish, eaglerays while we were snorkelling and even a nurse shark while snorkelling. The visibility was also awesome everyday and there were sites where the corals were just as nice.

We dove on the east side of Roatan all week so I don't know what the other side is like. Is it better or about the same? We most definitely will go back because we did have a great time but I won't be expecting so much next time and will be trying the sites on the west side too.

Wow... you're serious? we dove the west side and it was amazing...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom