Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I are headed to Roatan. This will be our first time. We have been looking at the Reef House Resort, but looking for suggestions. We can stay anywhere on the island and just looking for the best diving, not worried about the lodging as much. Is there a better side of the island for diving or is CCV and RHR just as good as any diving? If so CCV vs. RHR... any advice on ideas welcome, just want to dive, eat and sleep.... and repeat.
The Reef House has the BEST diving in Roatan. Also the best DM and captain. There are 2 separate rooms with king size bed. Very quiet and a great view.

Thanks for all the help and feedback. We have decided to spend a week at CCV and very excited about it.

We will be in the West Bay for the week prior though and looking for a good dive op that we can get some diving in with. Any suggestions?

Steve, when will you be at CCV? My son and I going from Oregon to CCV March 21-28.

Steve, when will you be at CCV? My son and I going from Oregon to CCV March 21-28.
Not until July. I would really like to hear your feedback from the trip. Enjoy!

I've seen a few people mention not staying at CCV but doing the shore dive, can anyone confirm this recently? We are staying at AKR again this year (our past visits have been great and that BOGO is too hard to resist) but would like if possible to visit CCV for a late afternoon and night shore dive. Who knows? Sometimes seeing is believing and maybe it will break the AKR spell.

If it's possible, any info on how to go about it? Just show up or make advance arrangements?

Noticed this on their website so I guess not.
Cruise Ship & Day Guests: Coco View is a dedicated dive resort catering to the guests that have chosen CoCo View as their vacation destination. As a common practice we do not accept cruise ship, walk-in or day guests. This allows us to focus our resources on our registered guests, many whom have commented that they appreciate the privacy and security that this policy provides.

Noticed this on their website so I guess not.
Cruise Ship & Day Guests: Coco View is a dedicated dive resort catering to the guests that have chosen CoCo View as their vacation destination. As a common practice we do not accept cruise ship, walk-in or day guests. This allows us to focus our resources on our registered guests, many whom have commented that they appreciate the privacy and security that this policy provides.

Good to know. Thanks for posting. Do you know if AKR allows day guests? and what do you think of the shore diving at AKR?

Good to know. Thanks for posting. Do you know if AKR allows day guests? and what do you think of the shore diving at AKR?

Not sure about day guests. They used to bring in cruise ship guests for the dolphin encounter program but I've heard they ended that program.

As for the shore dive, it's decent enough. The house reef is not as nice as the ones the boats visit but you'll see coral and fish. We did it once but my partner would rather head to the pool or bar after 3 boat dives.

You can do the same shore dive as CCV from Fantasy Island Beach Resort, which is on the west side of the same bay. They have an easy access off their palapa but it is quite a long swim to the reef/wrecks. You also have to hike about 200 metres from the dive shop to the palapa with all your dive gear. That said, it's a great spot and they only charge $10 per tank.

AKR does take day divers, but you should call them in advance so that they can be ready for you. Don't waste your time with their shore dive.

There's actually 2 shore dives off AKR - a shallow (walking for a long way out) dive off the Key or there's sort of a muck dive in the channel - there's a plane? wreck they sunk shallow for training. When you do the Dolphin Dive they have you do a mask clear off the back of the boat so you get to see a few minutes of the muck dive - it's maybe 20'? deep.

AFAIK the Dolphin Dive is still an active option - Dolphin Programs | Anthony's Key Resort | Roatan | Honduras We weren't resort guests so had to pay a little more. otoh, my group of 5 was all that morning so we had the DM, trainer, videographer and 3 dolphins to ourselves.

There's also supposed to be a good dive that's shore accessible from Sueno Del Mar's beach in the West End - it accesses a named dive site. I have no details about it except I probably found it on Google.

You can also go in off the concrete pad at Seagrape Plantation on the east side of Half Moon Bay but once you commit you won't be able to get out early - the ironshore there is about 10' high cliffs the waves beat against. So you drift around the point into Half Moon Bay - getting out at either Half Moon Resort (shorter walk back to Seagrape) or the West End beach - about a 10-15 walk back to Seagrape.Seagrape has a shop on-site so I assume they'll rent you a tank.

Getting tanks for shore dives is a problem on Roatan - try Sueno Del Mar for any sites with no on-site operations. Most of the boat based operations won't rent to you.

Lastly here's a few other potential options - Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Honduras, Roatan, Caribbean

1-3 are Cocoview or Fantasy Island, 5 is closed since BIBR shut down and 6 is only accessible if no one is renting one of the houses in the compound, Front Porch (#7) is the AKR Key dive.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom