Rob Murphy's Day in Court

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. Sailboats have the right of way over powerboats, but generally only under 60 feet. Over 60 feet the one on the other's port shall keep clear.

2. I've seen very serious damage incurred during a sailboat race when one boat fails to give way and they both misjudge. (Also when both give way, but in the same direction.)

3. The nice thing about trying to cut across the bow of something as big as a carrier ... the bow wave will generally push anything out of the way pretty effectively. ... It is very hard for anything that is huge to actually hit something small.

4. If I've got divers in the water off of my boat and I see someone heading for them, I've got ways of getting their attention, and but good. I'll deal with the consequences of getting their attention afterward.

Actually, sailboats are reasonably far down on the "pecking order" that shows which vessel is the stand-on vessel and which is the give-way vessel (what is commonly called "right of way" although that term is not used).

Note that a sailboat that is only/also using auxilliary engine power to propel it (even if it is also sailing) is considered a motor-driven vessel (powerboat). Here is the basic "pecking order" of vessels, starting with the one that is the most privileged (that everyone below it would give way to):

Overtaken
NUC (not under command)
RAM (restricted in ability to maneuver)
CBD (constrained by draft) (does not apply to sailboats)
Fish (not your basic trolling recreational vessel though)
Sail
Power
Seaplane
WIG (Wing in Ground, which is a type of airplane)

Of course there are a number of other factors, circumstances, and rules, but that's the basic order.

I'm strictly an amateur, but since there may be quite a few non-sailors reading this, I thought I'd mention the one rule that takes precedence over all the discussion of right-of-way, which I'll paraphrase as: Thou shalt not do anything to cause an accident. When in proximity to another vessel, if someone (vessel A) does something (change course or speed) that causes a collision and the other vessel didn't have time or ability to react, vessel A may end up being held at fault, even though they may notionally have had right-of-way, because the duty to not cause an accident superceeds that.

Professionals feel free to clarify or correct this.

I'm amazed at Murphy's presence of mind - that he inflated his BC after having his legs chopped off. I'm also moved by his tenacity; back in the water only 2-3 months later!

Amazing man.

I don't know what he was doing for a living when it happened, but I understand he is working at one of the local shops.

Many would be drowning in self pity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom