• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Rolex Submariner

Discussion in 'Computers, Gauges, Watches and Analyzers' started by iyakonboats, Oct 31, 2019.

1. greeniguana

greeniguana Angel Fish

My Casio Rangeman sets itself daily from the WWV atomic clock radio signal in Boulder CO.

I occasionally check it against the official NIST web page clock, always exactly synced.....

Attached Files:

FezUSA likes this.
  2. Ojai Diver

Ojai Diver Barracuda

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    [/QUOTE]

You attributed somebody else's quote regarding "spending a few hundred annually on a service etc. is cheap insurance." I never said this. Somebody else did. On the contrary, I disagree on the need the for an annual service for a dive watch. It is ridiculous, expensive and unnecessary.

3. doctormike

doctormike ScubaBoard Supporter Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Huh, that's weird! Must be something with the reply editor. Sorry, will fix it!

4. Ojai Diver

Ojai Diver Barracuda

True enough. People assume that quartz watches are the be all end all of accuracy, but good mechanical watches can be regulated to exceed that of typical quartz watches. Also, manufacturers of higher end watches (Omega, Rolex) tend to stand by their products over the long term. Not so with cheaper watches. My dad had a decent 20 year old Citizen watch, probably cost him $100-$200, I sent it to Citizen for service, and they more or less orphaned the watch, said they didn't know what it was, had no parts for it, and encouraged me to go out and buy a new Citizen watch--not exactly the response you want from a watch manufacturer.

5. Ojai Diver

Ojai Diver Barracuda

Very true. Today's Rolex's, Omega's and their ilk are tougher and better than ever, but are typically owned and used by those whose chief interest is status or collector value. The kind of people who own a sports car that never leaves the garage for fear of a scratch. This is too bad, because these watches really are great for daily use, including for diving (with insurance) and other outdoor activites. They are truly made for it.

So the watches haven't changed (except to improve), but the kinds of people who typically own them has.

Fastmarc likes this.
  6. Snoweman

Snoweman Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    How so?

7. Ojai Diver

Ojai Diver Barracuda

Typical owners were frequently divers who dove with their watches, back in the hallowed days of diving. With no computers, there was no real choice but to do so.

This is no longer the case.

8. Snoweman

Snoweman Loggerhead Turtle

OK. I thought you were talking mid-level watches in general.

9. Fastmarc

Fastmarc Just drifting along... ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Rolex won the race to the depths (Omega to the moon) and were worn by professionals who used them doing their work. That was initially their target market. Now, dive watches represent probably the largest segment for luxury watches and most who wear them do not test the standard to which they are built, but make no mistake they are better than the earlier models which dealt with some serious work.

Ojai Diver likes this.
  10. twowheels

twowheels Angel Fish

What do sat divers wear for watches?