Ron Lee's Personal Rules for Diving in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ron Lee

Contributor
Reaction score
Perhaps you heard about the "Rules" book that two young girls had hand written. It was lost at a Walmart and finally returned to them. From the ones I saw...basic good rules for a decent society. I am going to include a few of my diving rules.

1) Always monitor/watch over women divers.

2) Always monitor/watch over young divers.

3) Always monitor/watch over new/inexperienced divers.

4) Periodically count all divers in the group.

5) If I see a solitary diver on the surface, go check on them. Ending a dive is less important than ensuring their safety.

Very nice thoughts and i always like gentlemen but why do you think women are more vulnerable? Any empirical data to support this? Why wouldn't you just plan to be equally vigilant for both sexes?

If you would like to open the door for me, great. But assuming I am an incompetent diver because I am female...what were you expecting when you posted that?

6) Always avoid groups lead by chauvinistic/condescending DMs. :kiss2:
I don't think Ron is a DM. :cowboy:

I don't mind if someone watches over me, and I certainly don't mind if they help me with the heavy bits. I'm unlikely to need watching over, but I'm not going to get offended by it, so long as no one messes with my gear.

I personally would be in a difficult situation, if someone in a dive group appeared to be in some kind of trouble, but helping them meant leaving my own buddy. I make a contract with my buddy, that I will be there for them, and that we begin, execute and end the dive together. Leaving them to help someone else (assuming I could not bring them with me) would be a horrible choice. There is a nasty double fatality story involving someone making precisely that decision -- the diver they left to help died anyway, and the buddy they left did, too, for reasons which have never become clear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom