Ron Lee's Personal Rules for Diving in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nimoh - assumptions do nothing to change facts. If I 'seem' to be trying to make the argument that men are automatically better at everything, you're reading this in the wrong language or something. In fact everything you just wrote is completely wrong, slow down it's cold outside in MN, you've got plenty of time to go back and read 147 posts and get up to speed cause you're way off.

By-the-way, I don't know any men who carry pepper spray in their purses, but I do know women who conceal carry, and open carry. God Bless em!!!
bowdown.gif

I also don't know a single man or woman who open or conceal carries because its 'macho'. Everyone I know does so for protection and because it's a constitutional right. (at least for a little while longer...)

while I agree, that I am way off about "automatically better at everything", my point was just that your examples have nothing to do with scuba diving.

Also I wrote "Scuba diving is hardly hand to hand combat", and you claim everything I said is wrong....so are you saying Scuba Diving is hand to hand combat? :)

Men generally prefer to carry concealed handguns, because it is more macho, but it is the same idea, isn't it?
Oh, if I carried one, I'd rather carry it on hip in full view. I used to wear a belt knife everywhere, but times changed. Glad I didn't get busted in Coz before I learned how unlawful they are.

Oh, if I carried one, I'd rather carry it on hip in full view. I used to wear a belt knife everywhere, but times changed. Glad I didn't get busted in Coz before I learned how unlawful they are.

When I wrote my first post in this thread, I thought "I am probably going to derail this thread into a personal defense discussion", then thought "ah well, this discussion is going nowhere anyway, and I'm bored" :)

Also I wrote "Scuba diving is hardly hand to hand combat", and you claim everything I said is wrong....so are you saying Scuba Diving is hand to hand combat? :)

umm.. . sure...whatever works for you...

---------- Post added January 22nd, 2013 at 12:02 PM ----------

I have to admit, I didn't get it then, I thought you were referring to Ron's black socks in his Avatar picture. :rofl3:

Last edited:
Ah, but you have added a qualifier there. You repeatedly use the word "only" to restrict the sense of "monitor." The expectation of follow-on action once monitoring has revealed an issue that should be addressed in some way is embedded so deeply in the sense of monitoring that you actually felt the need to qualify it with "only" in order to narrow it. Very interesting as an insight into your own writing style.

Again you needed to qualify the sense of "monitoring" with the phrase "without actions" in order to narrow it from the usual understanding of the meaning of this term.

Of course I qualified it. I was making the point that monitoring and ONLY monitor does nothing. It was not intended to provide a new meaning but rather to focus on what the word really means. Not what one wants it to mean while trying to be more offended. Surely as a linguist you must be aware of the intentional redefining of words and phrases to create additional outrage.

The auditor has been given the explicit charge of reporting irregularities. Again, the expectation of follow-on action is embedded in the sense of monitoring, even if the action is limited to making a report to someone else.

I do not want Ron assuming he has the explicit charge of overseeing my diving just because I'm female.

And I would say good for you, but as Ron is DOING nothing to affect your rights, you don't really have anything to say about it. (Unless you are in the back of a '68 Ford station wagon, screaming, "MOM, he is looking at me!") I mean really. Do you report to the DM: I saw Ron look at my BC. I know he was thinking there might be problems, so he looked. Tell him to stop.

Interesting that you specify that they are elderly--do you not watch over your other neighbors who are not elderly? Or do you just watch over those you feel are at some disadvantage in taking care of themselves? For example, if it was a single mom with kids, would they merit watching over? How about a single dad with kids? A 30-something mom and dad with kids? A couple of young guys who rent the place? A couple of young gals who rent the place?

And, according to your definition of watching over, if you should notice some problem, do you continue to observe passively or do you take some action, even if that action is simply going to talk to them to give them advice, e.g., "Say, I noticed that the right front tire of your car is a little lower than the left. You should see about that the next time you stop at the gas station."

Nope. I don't want Ron "watching over" me just because I'm a woman, as per his Rule #1, and feeling free to give me unsolicited advice.

Actually, I never have done anything. Never gave them advice about anything. They can tell me to shove it if I happened to tell them something they don't like. You can tell Ron the same thing WHEN he DOES something. Until then, you, like my neighbors, will probably never notice. Would it be better if I stopped and told the neighbors that I was keeping a greater eye on them, but tell him if he falls and breaks his hip in the drive way I would not intervene? Maybe go back in the house and wait for the scream, just like anyone else on the street might need to do to get my attention.

jiffyhip-sm.jpg

As I think about it, I realized, maybe I am not the biggest discriminator I know. Perhaps I am discriminating against the elderly by thinking about them, but the missus takes them some baked goods now and again. She is a REAL discriminator. She even occasionally takes baked goods to another elderly lady down the street. Just because she is old and alone. She NEVER does it because for the family across the street. I wonder if I can get her an intervention?

umm.. . sure...whatever works for you...

---------- Post added January 22nd, 2013 at 12:02 PM ----------

I have to admit, I didn't get it then, I thought you were referring to Ron's black socks in his Avatar picture.

I never thought a picture of Hitler would make me laugh!!!

Many, if not most, words have multiple possible meanings and various shades of those meanings. We usually decipher just which meaning, or shade thereof, is intended by the context in which it is used. On occasion an honest mistake is made in during the interpretation and even more often folks choose to infer an interpretation of the word in an effort to be humorous. Other times they do so in order to make a point, and still other times they choose to do so because they are just so thin skinned they are always looking for ways to be offended. I think we have seen excellent examples of each of these here in this thread.

As I think about it, I realized, maybe I am not the biggest discriminator I know. Perhaps I am discriminating against the elderly by thinking about them, but the missus takes them some baked goods now and again. She is a REAL discriminator. She even occasionally takes baked goods to another elderly lady down the street. Just because she is old and alone. She NEVER does it because for the family across the street. I wonder if I can get her an intervention?

Monsters!

What's next from you two? Picking up their newspaper off their driveway while they are on vacation? Glancing toward them, waving hello to them? Stop harassing your neighbors, they don't need your patronizing behavior.

Can we get cheese with that WHINE? You don't get it both ways chick. Broads like this keep men from opening doors for anyone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom