• Jets

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Rockets

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Other?? (are there any?)

Votes: 7 16.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IDI was bought out by XS Scuba and from my understanding the Turtles will be available again soon. Turns out XS Scuba got the molds for all the equipment, not just the left overs they thought they were buying. Not a bad deal for the reported $80k.

What's with this obsession with "military/professional divers"? Why do people think that the military uses whatever is "best"?

Well I think that military divers define what is best very differently than some "weekend diver" would. Military divers are no interested in LOOKING COOL :) Thats why most of their gear is black.

They are not interested in fancy things like piviting blade and and split fins but things that are practical.

The reason why I personally prefer military gear is because that stuff is designed for maximum wear and tear. I love my non-military Tigullio Explorer fins but after 5 dives they look like USED fins. After 50 dives they will be totally out of shape. Since I dive on weekends, 50 dives means they will last 50 weeks which is enough for me!

If NAVY seals start using the same Tigullio Explorer, then 50 dives means 50 days cuz poor things will be doing one dive a day! The fins would be gone before their initial 2 months!!!

SeaHound:
Well I think that military divers define what is best very differently than some "weekend diver" would. Military divers are no interested in LOOKING COOL :) Thats why most of their gear is black.

They are not interested in fancy things like piviting blade and and split fins but things that are practical.

The reason why I personally prefer military gear is because that stuff is designed for maximum wear and tear.QUOTE]

In the military...fins selection is left up to the personal choice of the diver.

Much gear is actually aquired through a bidding process based on cost/performance not necessarily what is the "best".

Take a look at local public safety diver's gear and even military dive gear and you'll notice that it is definitely not the best gear available at all.

Just a little side note...it's spelled "Vagabond"...:D

"Giant UDT Duck Feet"
Back again by popular demand.
Cost about the same as a set of spring straps, & you have NO STRAPS at all to break.
Only drawback is you need tree trunk size legs to make them work.
They're also unwieldly in excess of 100 mph. :D

Jet fins are durable. When I started diving we dove in a tail race below a hydro electric plant with a 3 to 7 kt current and proper technique whas to drift down steam a couple pounds heavy with the fin tips dragging on the gravel and shale bottom to prevent you from getting flipped over. I have a few hundred dives on my jet fins with a 1/2 mile or so minimum on each dive and the Jets still look good. In contrast a plastic fin will look like crap in just a few dives with this sort of fin abuse.

Bob3:
"Giant UDT Duck Feet"
Back again by popular demand.
Cost about the same as a set of spring straps, & you have NO STRAPS at all to break.
Only drawback is you need tree trunk size legs to make them work.
They're also unwieldly in excess of 100 mph. :D

If you wouldn't jump out of a perfectly good airplane with them on this would not be a problem. :D

I wonder what fins would work on my 'heavy dress' lead boots????

I use Jet fins- I have not always used them- When I got Out of the Navy - I bought a pair of Mares Quatro (sp?) They were powereful- I swore that I would never go back to wearing those Big Black Bricks again- But when I started diving in Wrecks and Carring lots of weight I went back to my bricks-

One thing though-- I do have Spring Straps- I wish I had them back then- it would have saved me lots of crusing and the humiliation of asking my swim buddy to help get my fins off... But then we would not have the enteraining discussion about it later at the BAR.

Spring straps make a world of difference when it comes to putting on fins while wearing a dry suit- or carring slings-

Just MHO!

pipedope:
I wonder what fins would work on my 'heavy dress' lead boots????
I'll bet a Godzilla-sized pair of Force Fins would be able to go over the suckers. I'll stick to doing the breast stroke though. :wink:

How about strapping some DPV to each Boot Pipedope

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom