Rude Diver Stories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tel-scuba

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I'll start. On a recent Caribbean trip, I was on a boat for a local dive. The deck was moderately crowded for this boat (about 9 or 10 divers on the deck). It's usually my habit to wait near the bow and let most of the others in the water first, giving me time and space to get my stuff together. That habit gave me a great opportunity to witness this:

One very impatient diver, who seemed determined to be in the water first, started gearing up even before the boat tied up to the dive site marker. With the usual maneuvering that the boat had to accomplish, things were a bit bumpy. In the middle of the deck he was almost fully geared up, had his fins on, and then decided to throw on his tank with an overhead lift. Of course, he fell, hit another diver (who fortunately wasn't hurt), and completely crunched yet another diver's SPG.

Was there an apology? Nope. Actually, his words were, "Why the h*** didn't you get out of my way? Can't you see I'm getting dressed?" One rather muscular diver on the boat seemed ready to take up his challenge, but he was stopped by the captain who pulled the jerk off to the side, seemed to say some rather stern words to him (which I couldn't hear) and disallowed him from diving! The rest of the boat actually applauded! I didn't see this guy the rest of the trip.

Got good "rude diver" stories to share?

Well, there was the couple that day a few years ago who got sea sick. Now, several folks were extremely sick that day as it was fairly bumpy. OTOH, the others all made it over the side. When we returned from our first dive, my buddies and I found this couple using our gear bags for barf buckets. I thought that was a tad over the line and a bit rude.

Walter:
Well, there was the couple that day a few years ago who got sea sick. Now, several folks were extremely sick that day as it was fairly bumpy. OTOH, the others all made it over the side. When we returned from our first dive, my buddies and I found this couple using our gear bags for barf buckets. I thought that was a tad over the line and a bit rude.

I would think if it were my bag they would be wearing it. :)

Penny, maybe I'm less prone to violent emotions. Actually, the damage was already done by the time we were on the boat. You can't turn back the clock and it wasn't anything that couldn't be cleaned easily.

Some people just don't seem to get it. I was on a six pack trip a couple weeks ago and there was a couple and what appeared to be some sort of man servant with them. Wierd. Anyway they were completely oblivious to the fact that other divers were on board. They hogged all the room and wouldn't move the hell out of the way. Several times I said, "excuse me" and they were responding as though I was bothering them. I thought they were getting a much deserved pay back when they were throwing their guts up until I realized that there was puke all over my Halcyon Rig. I was not happy and at that point I let it be known. :)

Just plain stupid, rude people. I'm sure they were filthy rich too..that's got to be part of it.

Walter,
You are FAR kinder than I!!! I'm curious, did they not have their own bags to use?

When they got sick, they simply didn't move, they hung their heads and let it go. Our bags were in the wrong place. They had the whole ocean to use. Others on the boat were just as ill, but they were considerate.

giggle, see i thought it was INTENTIONAL!!! not just lazy. :D

A long the same lines, two weeks ago wife and I are diving in Curacao. It was customary of the boat crew to pass out sliced oranges between dives. There was usually enough for every diver and crew to have at least two pieces each. After one of the dives, I could smell the oranges, so I looked for the container and it was empty. When I looked around, there were two non-english speaking divers who had a pile of orange peelings in thier hands, but no one else even got a taste.

For what its worth these to dudes were equally as rude underwater. If someone pointed to something cool, they would bully their way in to have a look, didn't matter that some of us were patiently waiting with cameras to get a shot.

Maybe I should have put this in the "whine and cheese"???????????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom