Rude Diver Stories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miked:
A slight twist on that: the person who spits into their mask, and then rinses it in the (clearly marked) "cameras only" tank.

Another tale, which qualifies as rude, and thoughtless and inconsiderate:
The boat is loaded, waiting to leave for a "two tank" trip, and we wait, and wait...finally, one of the crew explains that we are waiting for 2 more divers that got delayed.Ok, things happen.
15 minutes later, we see these 2 late "20 something people" carrying their gear, and a small (less than 1 year old) baby in its stroller, with a bassinette(?) in tow.
The boat captain tried to explain the folly of that age baby on a dive boat, prompting the "mother" to screech, tantrum like,"I want to go diving , I paid to go diving...etc...."
well, for some unknown reason, the captain relented, (I think these people "knew somebody") and on they came-complete with stroller,bassinette, and baby.
They promptly began to try to move gear thet had been set up by other divers (who were on time), and took over the vast majority of ther shaded area on the boat.The 2 divers and baby occupied space that could normally accommodate 6-8 divers.
The father seemed apologetic, but the mother was a shrew.
Only some diplomacy by one of the crew prevented a serious incident, as some of the divers whose gear was moved were understandably put out about it.(BTW, no permission was sought; these 2 just barged in and started rearranging gear to meet their needs.)

And they stunk as divers, to boot!!

I'd call that rude and a half.

Mike

I'm stunned by that. Seriously, stunned. How insanely stupid.

tsk, tsk, tsk...some people...

Well this was a while back but the guy was just RUDE....Anyway on the first dive of the day we had a ripping current. So on the way up our group was holding on to the line - everybody was stretched out like flags in the wind - We are doing our safety stop at about 20' and we see this guy, from another group with a big camera rig approach the line. He was making his was up way too fast, pushed us all off the line so he could hold on. Our DM tried to make eye contact with the guy to see if he was ok....then the guy just stopped and did his safety stop. Again our DM kept watching him and noticed that they guys BIG WAL just fell off his camera and was making it's way down to the wreck. Showed it to the guy, but there was very little he could do about it - end of the dive - no more air. As they say...little sins are punished right away :D

I was on a dive in Key Largo, and there was a photographer who had a VERY expensive camera setup (professional grade, twin strobes, the whole works) - and his own rinse bucket (cooler) for it. One of the divers on the boat came up, and threw his mask and reefmaster (ie, el cheapo) right in on top of this guys rig!

The photographer (very VERY, imho) politely picked up the guys stuff and took it to him and told him that his cooler wasn't a rinse bucket. He didn't get an apology or anything.

justleesa:
tsk, tsk, tsk...some people...

Well this was a while back but the guy was just RUDE....Anyway on the first dive of the day we had a ripping current. So on the way up our group was holding on to the line - everybody was stretched out like flags in the wind - We are doing our safety stop at about 20' and we see this guy, from another group with a big camera rig approach the line. He was making his was up way too fast, pushed us all off the line so he could hold on. Our DM tried to make eye contact with the guy to see if he was ok....then the guy just stopped and did his safety stop. Again our DM kept watching him and noticed that they guys BIG WAL just fell off his camera and was making it's way down to the wreck. Showed it to the guy, but there was very little he could do about it - end of the dive - no more air. As they say...little sins are punished right away :D
I hope you dived to 'retrieve' it later after he'd gone. :eyebrow:

miked:
The boat captain tried to explain the folly of that age baby on a dive boat, prompting the "mother" to screech, tantrum like,"I want to go diving , I paid to go diving...etc...."
well, for some unknown reason, the captain relented, (I think these people "knew somebody") and on they came-complete with stroller,bassinette, and baby.
Who watched the baby while they dived?

I thought NJ divers were considered rude. I'm sorry, but these clearly beat all my stories.

cowprintrabbit and pennypue,

Regarding "who watched the baby?"- a question which, I was too ticked off to think of at the time.
I'm not really sure, but I do recall a girl who seemed to be the only person on the boat that interacted with the rude couple- the rest of the people seemed to ignore them. I know that I was so annoyed with their rudeness, that I had nothing civil to say to them, so I said nothing.
I also do not recall seeing that girl in the briefings, or in the water- perhaps she was there, and I didn't notice her, or perhaps she was the babysitter?? If so, I hope she was well paid -and that the dive op got paid for a non-diver on the boat.

I must add that the crew was very apologetic to the rest of the people on the boat- but it seemed as if there was little they could do.
Take care
Mike

Ah shoot...I thought the thread read "Nude diver stories"...

miked:
cowprintrabbit and pennypue,

Regarding "who watched the baby?"- a question which, I was too ticked off to think of at the time.
I'm not really sure, but I do recall a girl who seemed to be the only person on the boat that interacted with the rude couple- the rest of the people seemed to ignore them. I know that I was so annoyed with their rudeness, that I had nothing civil to say to them, so I said nothing.
I also do not recall seeing that girl in the briefings, or in the water- perhaps she was there, and I didn't notice her, or perhaps she was the babysitter?? If so, I hope she was well paid -and that the dive op got paid for a non-diver on the boat.

I must add that the crew was very apologetic to the rest of the people on the boat- but it seemed as if there was little they could do.
Take care
Mike
You know, I love babies, I love children.....I've got two that have managed to survive nearly to adult, and should make it......but I don't think I would have stayed on the boat. You're a lot kinder and more patient than I am, Mike. I most likely would have said something to the mother too. But being a mother, I think I can get away with it a little easier. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom