Rude Diver Stories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter:
When they got sick, they simply didn't move, they hung their heads and let it go. Our bags were in the wrong place. They had the whole ocean to use. Others on the boat were just as ill, but they were considerate.
The first few times i was sick, on my first few boat dives, seemed to occur just moments after the 5 min warning. I would be fully suited up, unbungeed and then that feeling came along. So i would crawl over to the side of the boat to hang out for a few moments, get some fresh drinking water after feeding the fish and get back to my seat to go diving - not fun, but from years working/playing on boats, you appreciate not having to clean puke off the deck! After the first few times Bonine or Dramamine seemed to help. BTW, my problem is based on diesel fumes more than rocking boats as i am fine on a sailboat in huge seas.

Rude divers - i guess i havent had that many, or none that were grossly rude. Most of the folks i dive with are off SB, they generally seem to be non-rude people (offline) :wink: Oh, but on the same boats i have seen reef trotting divers, not in the SB group itself.

CALI68:
Some people just don't seem to get it. I was on a six pack trip a couple weeks ago and there was a couple and what appeared to be some sort of man servant with them. Wierd. Anyway they were completely oblivious to the fact that other divers were on board. They hogged all the room and wouldn't move the hell out of the way. Several times I said, "excuse me" and they were responding as though I was bothering them. I thought they were getting a much deserved pay back when they were throwing their guts up until I realized that there was puke all over my Halcyon Rig. I was not happy and at that point I let it be known. :)

Just plain stupid, rude people. I'm sure they were filthy rich too..that's got to be part of it.

Oh man...I wish I was there...I would have had a blast with that one!!! :D

boomx5:
Oh man...I wish I was there...I would have had a blast with that one!!! :D

I know you can apprecite it. Lucky for them my Helios 9 18 W was in it's koozy or I would have freaked! None of it got on the can either. Sadly though my primary reg (second stage) was "effected" Gross! I soaked it for a couple days. eeeeeew!

I got stuck with six of the rude photographer types in Chuuk on the Aggressor. You would be trying to get a shot of something and they would just horn in and bump you out of the way.

The first time it happens your thinking maybe they didn't see you. The next time your like, WTF. The third time it happened i demonstrated my best underwater linebacker, forearm shiver, separation technique on the guy. You would think that sends a pretty strong message. Well, heres your sign ...

When we got back on board the guy asked me why i pushed him out of the way. He acted totally oblivious to the fact that he was the one horning in. I have little doubt he knew exactly what he was doing.

One short discussion later with the Captain and he kept our groups separated. Problem solved but a pretty sad state of affairs if you ask me.

Well there is always someone that spits in their mask and then dips it in the rinse bucket. :11:

gedunk:
I got stuck with six of the rude photographer types in Chuuk on the Aggressor. You would be trying to get a shot of something and they would just horn in and bump you out of the way.

The first time it happens your thinking maybe they didn't see you. The next time your like, WTF. The third time it happened i demonstrated my best underwater linebacker, forearm shiver, separation technique on the guy. You would think that sends a pretty strong message. Well, heres your sign ...

When we got back on board the guy asked me why i pushed him out of the way. He acted totally oblivious to the fact that he was the one horning in. I have little doubt he knew exactly what he was doing.

One short discussion later with the Captain and he kept our groups separated. Problem solved but a pretty sad state of affairs if you ask me.

LOL! Linebacker Forearm Shiver Separation! Hillarious! You should have clipped him.

miketsp:
Well there is always someone that spits in their mask and then dips it in the rinse bucket. :11:

LOL Hillarious!!! Gross but hillarious! Man, that's just straight up double dipping! I bet those people are a joy to be around at a cocktail party with a bowl of chips and dip.

A slight twist on that: the person who spits into their mask, and then rinses it in the (clearly marked) "cameras only" tank.

Another tale, which qualifies as rude, and thoughtless and inconsiderate:
The boat is loaded, waiting to leave for a "two tank" trip, and we wait, and wait...finally, one of the crew explains that we are waiting for 2 more divers that got delayed.Ok, things happen.
15 minutes later, we see these 2 late "20 something people" carrying their gear, and a small (less than 1 year old) baby in its stroller, with a bassinette(?) in tow.
The boat captain tried to explain the folly of that age baby on a dive boat, prompting the "mother" to screech, tantrum like,"I want to go diving , I paid to go diving...etc...."
well, for some unknown reason, the captain relented, (I think these people "knew somebody") and on they came-complete with stroller,bassinette, and baby.
They promptly began to try to move gear thet had been set up by other divers (who were on time), and took over the vast majority of ther shaded area on the boat.The 2 divers and baby occupied space that could normally accommodate 6-8 divers.
The father seemed apologetic, but the mother was a shrew.
Only some diplomacy by one of the crew prevented a serious incident, as some of the divers whose gear was moved were understandably put out about it.(BTW, no permission was sought; these 2 just barged in and started rearranging gear to meet their needs.)

And they stunk as divers, to boot!!

I'd call that rude and a half.

Mike

I was diving the cenotes in Mexico.

It was me, some other guy and a couple from Columbia, all following a 'guide.' I could not believe this other guy in the group.

First, I saw him shove aside and cut in front of the woman on our dive. We were all heading along in the same direction following our 'guide' when he came up from behind the woman and elbowed her aside and passed her.

Second, we surfaced in a dome with lots and lots of stalactites. He reached up and slapped one to break it off.

Couldn't believe that guy. He was a complete pain in the butt to the dive operator from the moment we arrived at the site until the moment we left.

Other than him, it was a great dive, though.

Michael

miked:
A slight twist on that: the person who spits into their mask, and then rinses it in the (clearly marked) "cameras only" tank.

Another tale, which qualifies as rude, and thoughtless and inconsiderate:
The boat is loaded, waiting to leave for a "two tank" trip, and we wait, and wait...finally, one of the crew explains that we are waiting for 2 more divers that got delayed.Ok, things happen.
15 minutes later, we see these 2 late "20 something people" carrying their gear, and a small (less than 1 year old) baby in its stroller, with a bassinette(?) in tow.
The boat captain tried to explain the folly of that age baby on a dive boat, prompting the "mother" to screech, tantrum like,"I want to go diving , I paid to go diving...etc...."
well, for some unknown reason, the captain relented, (I think these people "knew somebody") and on they came-complete with stroller,bassinette, and baby.
They promptly began to try to move gear thet had been set up by other divers (who were on time), and took over the vast majority of ther shaded area on the boat.The 2 divers and baby occupied space that could normally accommodate 6-8 divers.
The father seemed apologetic, but the mother was a shrew.
Only some diplomacy by one of the crew prevented a serious incident, as some of the divers whose gear was moved were understandably put out about it.(BTW, no permission was sought; these 2 just barged in and started rearranging gear to meet their needs.)

And they stunk as divers, to boot!!

I'd call that rude and a half.

Mike

SO who watched the baby? I hope they tipped the "babysitter" well!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom