Rude divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving at quarry with training platforms and instructors strealing platforms from divers is rude. I've had it happen multiple times, most recently Saturday......He and I went down to a platform and were working on buoyancy and trim (he had a new BC among other things). Viz was very bad (10ft or less) so we didn't go see some of the attractions as originally planned (I didn't trust my so-so nav skills with a diver with few dives). We were swimming around the platform when along comes an OW class and steals it from us.

If you're talking about Haigh quarry, yup, I know the feeling. Had it happen to me too. I don't get upset because I know a class has to use the platform for training so I just move to another platform. There are a few of them at the north end all fairly close together.

P.S. If you're going to Haigh and need a buddy or if you need a buddy in the future PM your email address and I'll respond back with mine. Maybe we can get together sometime.

If you're talking about Haigh quarry, yup, I know the feeling. Had it happen to me too. I don't get upset because I know a class has to use the platform for training so I just move to another platform. There are a few of them at the north end all fairly close together.

P.S. If you're going to Haigh and need a buddy or if you need a buddy in the future PM your email address and I'll respond back with mine. Maybe we can get together sometime.

I'm not to far from Haigh--and I'm pretty sure ive met that same instructor. I was doing my night cert and not only did they push us off our platform, they also stepped on my hose while moving their equipment from their car while we were setting up but they also had the gall to knock on Tina's door (of her house) after she had closed shop to ask for tank fills...

Did she tell them to pound sand?

She slammed the door in their faces...although my instructor very nearly went up to them as well to yell at them for the atrocious behavior...Tina is a wonderful woman but doesn't tolerate rude divers at all

@Cr.padlo - Dang, talk about rude! That is really over the top! I don't know which instructor/shop stole the platform I was on Saturday. We specifically chose a platform that wasn't one of the close ones, and we checked for bubbles before we descended. Viz was so bad that I wasn't going to be galavanting off to another platform. I'm tired enough of the shops taking over the good spots on the grounds and the good parking spaces that I was going to stand my ground on the platform issue.

A previous time out at Haigh an instructor I know stole the platform from me. As I know who the instructor was, he got one heck of an earful from me once we were all out of the water. Hopefully it makes him think twice about doing that again.

@EFX - PM sent.

Curious...How do they steal the platform? Do they just spread out and use the whole space? How big are the platforms?

The platforms are of various sizes. I don't know exact sizes, some are pretty large. But yes, the instructors bring their students down and just take it over. I've been on one end of a platform with buddy and suddenly, we're surrounded.

I've been pretty polite about it, but next time, the bird will be shown and I'll pull my slate out to "tell" them off.

Those of us in Australia think your boat crew should just be paid by the owner and trip price increased. That way noone is obligated to tip.

Having said the above I do tip for exceptional service or in locations where the staff don't get paid what they should because tips.

Back
Top Bottom