Rude divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh ********! ..... Er, I mean, that has not been my experience.

Then that is the fault of the LOB/guide you are on or using. I have never been on a boat that doesn't enforce this rule or at least express the importance of this rule and it is up to us as photographers to make sure this happens. I see this behavior from point and shoots and go-pros more than big rigs. And I said experienced.... it would be foolish and unproductive to try to get a shot of a critter with 4 other divers sitting around a subject waiting for their turn. And I guarantee you that a photographer shooting wide angle will purposely and actively avoid divers and bubbles. I was on a boat last year where their were some photographers that didn't want to take turns. The boat did everything they could to make sure that this didn't impact the other divers and for the most part they were successful.

But I can also say that if I find a critter on my own and it is one that I have a wanted to photograph for a behavior etc. then I won't necessarily move away if a group comes up to me, but usually that would be because it is eating, mating or whatever. If it is not presenting a behavior/action etc. I will gladly let a group take a look or photograph. I love showing divers things that I find. I have been on many dives where critters are mating etc. and the non-photographers are pushing me towards it because they want to see pictures of it later.

Last edited:
You know honestly the more I think about it... I have seen this behavior from people new to a particular type or area of diving. I have watched people run over divers just to photograph a cuttlefish because they had never seen one and thought they might never see one again. We see cuttlefish all of the time, but I do remember the first time I saw it. I was so excited I could scream.... same with a turtle, shark, nudi etc.... I remember being in Belize and seeing the lettuce leaf slug and thinking OMG this is amazing. I took a ton of pics of that little critter. Shortly after I realized they were everywhere, I mean everywhere. As experienced divers we need to remember that new divers are so excited about getting to see things for the first time that they might need more time to enjoy the moment. This goes back to the OP's experience. She was enjoying the crab... the experienced diver was probably not that impressed so or didn't even notice that the OP was enjoying the moment. I do find joy watching new divers see things for the first time... and I love hearing them talk excitedly on the deck after the dive.

I avoid other divers... and the amazing cloud of silt a group will make. But I've bumped into a few folks in really lousy visibility by accident. You could say it was quite rude. Surprising at least. If I get in the water with a group - you bet Ill let the cloud of pig-pen divers move along and Ill stay way back and hopefully have a relaxing dive. I have this image also in my mind of the Tazmanian Devil from the Bugs Bunny cartoons - they come in like a whirlwind, make a total mess, bubbles everywhere, fins kicking all crazy, and then are gone in a flash.

Makes you wonder why there aren't fights in the parking lot.

A frequent poster on SB tried to start a fist fight at a popular Seattle dive spot over a parking spot.

Back
Top Bottom