Running guideline in sand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

no cinderblocks in said remote destination for purchase?

Not sure but way more expense and logistics than what I had in mind. What size are you talking about? I wouldn't want to haul a couple of pavers across 300 yards of sand much less a dozen cinderblocks. Maybe you're just pulling my chain...

I use one of the spiral stakes that screw into the ground and are used to secure dog leashes. They hold well, they have a nice ring ready for attachment, and that ring will swivel freely around the stake.

you could get some sort of container say a bucket and fill it with the sand thats already there and tie off on the handle or if you wanted to make it less obvious bury it in the sand with the handle or with cord sticking out

Why not use compass heading in and out?

Last edited:
Some empty bottles, painted on the inside and then hung upside-down from lead weights? Just lay them out in a line with enough distance between them so that you can see the previous and next one?

Not sure but way more expense and logistics than what I had in mind. What size are you talking about? I wouldn't want to haul a couple of pavers across 300 yards of sand much less a dozen cinderblocks. Maybe you're just pulling my chain...

wasn't pulling your chain. If you want to install a permanent guideline in the ocean that is somewhat environmentally friendly, that is what I would do, logistics be damned

Why not use compass heading in and out?

Doing that now fairly well. Take a bearing, pick a distant object, swim to it. Rinse and repeat. I'm a pretty good navigator. My buddy not so much. So I was just thinking a guideline would be good to have in a "more stressful" situation or in case of buddy separation. Progress marks would be reassuring. So the line isn't critical thus why I don't want to put too much effort and expense into it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom