Running guideline in sand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Running guideline is a navigational technique.

Following breadcrums in a forest is also a navigational technique. Following line blindly with NO navigation skills isnt any good. The OP has no idea how to run or install line, hence the questions here.

Last edited:
Trident and others make screw in sand anchors for securing surface floats. Basically stick it in the sand and screw it in as far as needed to hold well. The number you need is probably a function of how well the anchor holds and the type of line you're using. Yellow polypropylene is cheap, comes on big spools and high-viz yellow, and floats. If it's pretty calm, you can probably run fewer sections and the natural buoyancy of the line should keep it off the ground. You'll probably have to experiment to determine how long the runs can be and how taut or loose to make the line. I wouldn't expect the line to be something you can hold on to in surge, just to use for visual navigation.

Definitely intended as a sight line only.

Polypropylene line floats, it is more of an entanglement hazard than braided nylon.

Compass heading presents NO entanglement hazards or risks to marine life.

True. However the OP is interested in running a line.

You've made your point. Repeating it doesn't make it stronger. That is a factor to keep in mind and there is a chance I could scrap the idea. Ecology is one of the reasons I've considered dropping a few breadcrumbs rather than running a line. Another one not mentioned so far is I'm concerned less experienced and prepared divers might follow a line to the reef. So I don't want it to be too visible. There would be a significant jump to the start point.

For example, I think I could follow a line easier than navigating a heading while towing an incapacitated diver or swimming without a mask.

I think I'd do those on the surface, but hey, that's just me!

Interesting. I have never run a line but it sounds like the plastic sand augers with braided nylon line would be the winner for short-term use. Hammering things into the seabed is always problematic thanks to the water. I hope this thread stays on track - trolls are annoying.

I think I'd do those on the surface, but hey, that's just me!

I agree, certainly with unconcious diver, but it's good to have options. Boat traffic or rough seas might make return under water preferable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom