Rust Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed Hatfield:
Once a tank has been checked and there is rust visible inside - is the tank garbage or can it be cleaned/serviced. It is a 120 steel used for nitrox.
Is it a PST HP120 tank? I've lost two of them to rust... beyond repair.
The answer partially depends on the conditions of filling that led to rust formation. If you have been regularly getting moist air boat fills over several years, you may have a problem. But, if you have a bit of flash rust, that is usually not an issue. I dive double PST HP120s, and tumble them when I O2 clean them each year. Last year, there was no rust visible in either tank at the time of VIP, year before that, there was very light flash rust visible in one tank, nothing in the other (even though they are manifolded and therefore get filled the same each time). As others suggest, have them tumbled, then take a look inside and you should be able to tell very easily if there is a problem before sending them for hydro.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom