S. FL shore diving roadtrip planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jimw I thought the free wednesday dive on SL8Rs boat was just for the month of March.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Since it's a birthday trip, you might want to check out which of the dive shops in Jupiter that has free dive trips on your birthday. Maybe JDC, though I've never taken a trip with them; just heard about it on here. I'm sure someone will be quick to let us know.
It's not shore diving, but if you're in the neck of the woods....

That's good to know for a future tip, but this particular trip will be shore diving only.

Since you are already planning on the BHB dive, you will want to visit Force E--this is an exceptional dive shop --not just to help with diving the BHB, but also for booking some reef or wreck dives ideal for you or your wife...and you'd already be there.
You should be trying Breakers Reef, Pauls Reef, or, if you want a wreck dive, the Mispah is pretty awesome....

That's good to know for a future tip, but this particular trip will be shore diving only.

If you are driving down from Atlanta, I would stop by one of the many springs on your way down, and do your skills practice/familiarization there.

That occurred to us as an option. When we first started thinking about this trip a month or so ago, we figured that by the first week in April the water temps in S. FL will be a lot more appealing than the 72 F of the springs. But right now it looks like we're not going to be in for much warmer water--what are the water temps now at BHB, around 73? Woo hoo. Our other thought was that places like Blue Grotto--perfect for practicing skills--can be crowded on weekends. If there are classes using the platforms all day .... And it's not inexpensive diving. Lastly, again, the idea was to spend our time someplace we haven't been before: shore diving in S. FL. All that said, with water temps as they are right now, we might very well stop at Blue Grotto.

Understood on the springs. Ginnie Springs would probably be better for getting your practice in as far as not competing for space with students, but cost is $30 to dive. Tubing down the river with an adult beverage is pretty fun as well. Blue grotto has recently undergone a lot of renovation/upgrade, so even though its $40 to dive, you get a lot more value than you used to (I went a few times when it was a hole in the ground with a few tables and was still $40). Another option is Alexander Springs, which is $6, but it does get crowded with students on the weekends, although the classes usually start early and finish up in the early afternoon. Alexander springs has a great setup for grilling out. I'ts actually a pretty good spot just to hang out, enjoy the spring, people watch, etc.

The only thing I will caution you on for the shore dive is that visibility can be really hit or miss. The best vis I have seen at LBTS was a little over 40'. The worst I have been in is, 5' or less. You will want to call the boca beach report, or give Steve at Gold Coast scuba a call to see what conditions are like. Also, if you are renting gear, call ahead and see if you can get some big tanks. I can get nearly 2 hrs of bottom time out of my HP100s, which makes the long swim out, not so bad. Would hate to swim out all that way for a 30-45 min dive.

Here is some video I took from the last shore dive I did at LBTS. If you don't mind an even longer swim, the drop off (depth around 20'-25') is great.... but it is a long swim

[video=youtube;8SM7wJm_7IA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SM7wJm_7IA&list=UUjuQmEQ9YvzRkG1pweqjnvA[/video]

Since it's a birthday trip, you might want to check out which of the dive shops in Jupiter that has free dive trips on your birthday. Maybe JDC, though I've never taken a trip with them; just heard about it on here. I'm sure someone will be quick to let us know.
It's not shore diving, but if you're in the neck of the woods....

Capt Sl8r also does free bday dives. Over the next few months, any new diver can do a 1 tank dive for free on Wednesdays. It's also free on Wednesdays if you rent a tank from him or bring a new diver (both free).

---------- Post added March 30th, 2014 at 04:04 PM ----------

Now I realize Jimw provided some of this info :)

Ohh good to know about the free trip.. didn't know that until now. :)

One thing nobody has mentioned is that the weather tends go be finikiy this time of year. Nice one day, blowing like crazy the next. The winds settle down in May. So keep that in mind when you plan your beach dives. BHB is a good back up as it generally is not as affected by weather like the ocean dives are. Gold Coast is a good resource for beach diving. Don't forget your flag whatever destination you choose.

Do most dive ops have flags for rent?

Do most dive ops have flags for rent?

Yeah, they all pretty much have it, $5 - $15 daily rental.
If you would like, you can borrow mine Saturday evening in Pompano and drop it off in Jupiter before you leave, PM me for instructions.

another great beach diving spot is Oakland and A1A (i think it's Earl Shipley park) or vista park a little south of that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom